Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire FRS26R2AW6 Not Cooling...again

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

We bought this fridge 2 years ago. I noticed a small puddle when I woke up one morning and found the fridge wasn't cool. I've inspected the evaporator coils and the condensor. There's no frost and no dirt. The compressor hums for a few seconds every few minutes. I don't know what else to do now.

Is the compressor busted? It was listed as $130 on RepairClinic.com. I'm hoping it's something else that isn't as expensive.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:43 PM

After reading some other threads I decided to give some more information.

This model is a side by side.

The compressor appears try and run (the humming for a few seconds). It's warm to the touch when I unplug the fridge and inspect it. All the fans appear to be functioning normally, and there is no dust (well, very very little) on the condenser. I got to the evaporator coils from inside the fridge (freezer actually) after removing a small panel. It had no frost at all.

Both the fridge side and freezer side are not getting cool. I've read that since my fridge is under 5 years old, the compressor may still be under warranty. If this is true, do I need to pay for the repair first then request reimbursement? Or do I go through warranty/technical things with Fridgidaire first?

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:11 AM

It could be a locked up compressor, but more then likely a bad relay/overload/start pak, (that's the little black box plugged onto the side of the compressor).

As far as warranty on the sealed system you would have to call out an authorized Frigadaire servicer and have them check to see if a sealed system problem then if it is the compressor you would still most likely have to pay the huge labor fees to change out the compressor - unless the 5 year sealed system warranty includes labor.

Take the little black box off the side of the compressor and shake it. If it rattles then it is diffinitely the bad part and is not considered part of the sealed system covered under the 5 year extended warranty period.

If you find that is what you need here's where to get it: 218721119 PTC starter CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:25 AM

I took that part out and shook it a little and didn't hear any rattling. Could this still be the problem even if it's not rattling? What else can I try?

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:32 AM

Take it to a repair shop and have it tested or just replace it.  If the compressor still does not start, call for warranty service if it is under warranty.  If it does solve the no start issue, look at the $$$ you saved....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:34 AM

OK. I'll try that. BUt first, how do I remove the two wires (blue/red) that are connected to it?

#7 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:36 AM

One more question. Would the compressor still hum once in a while if this piece we're discussing is broken?

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:42 AM

I would imagine the wires are plugged in somewhere and would un-plug.  If the compressor is locked down it will try to start and kick back out on the overload.  If the start relay is bad the compressor usually will try to start but cannot go to run.  If the overload was dead the compressor would not even try to start.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for your help. I ordered the part from RepairClinic the same day I posted the original message and it arrived yesterday (Friday). I JUST installed the part and it SEEMS to be working. I'm still giving the fridge some time to get cool, but I'm pretty sure it's working well. Thanks so much.

Now I want to think about the future. Is there something that might have caused the starter to go bad that might cause this new one to have a similar problem any time soon, or is just "one of those things" that happens once in a while? I'm hoping to not have to go through something like this again.

I never realized how important a cold drink on a summer's day is until my fridge died. Thanks again for helping me save money.

The day the fridge went dead, I had called an Authorized Frigidaire repair service thinking the problem might be the compressor and covered under warranty. When I mentioned this to the rep. I was told that they were very busy. When I asked how long they'd take if it were a non-warrantied item, the rep said someone would be out the next day with at the least a bill for $50 for just showing up. After a visit to this board, I cancelled the service and ordered the part.

That's my story.

#10 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:35 AM

I wanted to make a new post extracting the questions from my last message. I think they kind of got lost in the rest of the babble.

Now I want to think about the future. Is there something that might have caused the starter to go bad that might cause this new one to have a similar problem any time soon, or is just "one of those things" that happens once in a while? I'm hoping to not have to go through something like this again.

I remember hearing the compressor hum every once in a while right before the starter went bad. I've only heard the hum last more than a few seconds about twice since i replaced the starter. When i hear it hum for more than a few seconds, I get a little scared. Should I not be?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:52 AM

[user=2694]bazabba[/user] wrote:

Is there something that might have caused the starter to go bad that might cause this new one to have a similar problem any time soon, or is just "one of those things" that happens once in a while?

You've experienced a stochastic event whose probability of occurrence increased by an order of magnitude when the design of the relay changed from a reliable mechanical design to the present PTC silicon device with no moving parts. The end result is a lower cost relay with a higher failure rate-- collateral damage.

#12 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

That's a great explanation!

So then I shouldn't blame myself. Does it's higher rate of failure effect the longevity of the compressor itself? I guess I'm most worried about the day the compressor goes out. If it's just the starter that goes out every couple of years, then I'm ok.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

[user=2694]bazabba[/user] wrote:

Does it's higher rate of failure effect the longevity of the compressor itself?

Depends on how long the compressor is left with a bad start relay, trying and failing to start and repeatedly kicking out on thermal overload. This does cumulative damage to the insulation around the compressor motor run windings. The end game is for the insulation to break down, creating a current path to ground. The winding itself can also fail open.

Short answer: yes.

#14 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:45 PM

My fridge is on the fritz again.

here's my previous thread. http://applianceguru...orum1/2259.html
So far the fridge has all the same symptoms.
Could the starter be out again? If so, what would cause this after just a month?

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

Your compressor is probably causing this problem, it most likely is going bad, eating start systems.

#16 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

so should i get it repaired or get a new fridge?

how much might i expect to spend on replacibg the compressor?

thanks

#17 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

If the compressor is not under warranty would guess around $500.00, if in warranty about $250.00

#18 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 11:49 AM

Just to expand on Pegi's comments, the warranty on sealed system repairs is **generally** 5 years parts AND labour. A check at Frigidaire.com with your model number shows that this is indeed the case for your model. You may be charged a "callout" or "trip" charge (typically around $60).
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#19 bazabba

bazabba

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

Thanks both of you. Now my problem is getting one of three authorized service places to actually come out to help. The first place I called said they dont work outside their area anymore, which is funny since my area is only 15 minutes away from theirs.

#20 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:36 AM

Cool, I have only seen where the compressor had 5 years and labor only one year...that would be worth repairing if 5 on both......Sort of odd they will not go 15 minutes out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics