Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

PSW23PSWA SS Enter diagnostic mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Volkemon

Volkemon

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:IceHouse

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

Greetings!

I have a service manual request in, but if anyone has the procedure to enter the diagnostic mode, and/or the trouble code charts....

It might save me from caling A+E (ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!)

Thanks.

Onward and Upward!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

Not finding anything on this one. Can you get the tech sheet?

#3 Volkemon

Volkemon

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

Just getting back into the office. I will get the tech sheet, I was hoping to get some headway without bothering the resident again. But then again, a 46* frige is sort of a bother... :)

Thanks!
Onward and Upward!

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

Are you having the dreaded iceball problem with this unit?

#5 Volkemon

Volkemon

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

No, no iceballs.

It runs fine, freezer at -1*, and frige at 46-7* no matter what the setting.

Compressor running, HP line warm. I suspect the switching valve, we will see. Time is of the essence, and without guidance I am obligated to hand it over to the 'Experts' at A&E. I will be at the repair and learn.

Tech sheet was close to worthless for a 'Quick and easy' fix. Schematic and sensor values.

Resident is a retired General, and well informed. He states that there is a connect for the laptop behind the access panel for the control unit, and last repair that was what was used. There may not be a diagnostic mode onboard the unit?!? :|
Onward and Upward!

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

[user=51279]Volkemon[/user] wrote:

Resident is a retired General, and well informed.

If he's so informed, why'd he buy a GE? :P

He states that there is a connect for the laptop behind the access panel for the control unit, and last repair that was what was used. There may not be a diagnostic mode onboard the unit?!? :|

That's just the test port for the muthaboard, which you don't really need.

Sounds like he's probably got the old-style thermistors in there and they've gone flakey. More on that well-known problem here:

http://fixitnow.com/...ed-thermistors/

And check the evaporator fan while you're in there:

http://fixitnow.com/...e-refrigerator/

#7 Volkemon

Volkemon

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Both evap fans work fine, holding door switch closed to test. The Beverage cool area in the FF door recieves airflow when selected from the menu. I did not test chilling drawer operation, however the homeowner had with negative results.

I suspected a thermister fault, and was hoping for a diagnostic routine. Setting the desired FF temp to either end of the range has no effect on actual or displayed  FFtemp.

Test port for the motherboard makes sense. The last 'Expert' from A&E dianosed a bad control board, so that would be in play. The following tech diagnosed low freon, and "fixed" it about 2 years ago. No line taps anywhere to put gauges on it, however. (?)

If it the the same thermisters as the GSS/GSH series... I know them well. I am rebuilding the control boards for that series now with a fair success rate. Toying with the idea of making an Arduino based replacement.....

If he's so informed, why'd he buy a GE? :P

Well, it its due to the nature of our community. 780 houses, retired military officers. "Serving those who served"  We had a contract with GE for our appliance supply and repair services from '86 up until early '08, and that was when I came on board at the company. We now use Sears...Meh.  The 16-20+ year old GE THX/TBX series are GREAT! Good service life. They are still in population, 40% maybe. The GSS and GSH series were installed after that as the 'standard' until '08, when we went to Sears. This unit was installed 1JUN07 and was considered the best upgrade one could have with 'The General'.      Little did they know. 

Onward and Upward!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics