Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE fridge quit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WannadoitmyselfOOPS

WannadoitmyselfOOPS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:43 PM

Yesterday I noticed my GE TFX20RNB side-by-side was making an unusual sound as it ran, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it.  This afternoon I realized it isn't cooling at all (this would be AFTER I ate my leftover shrimp dinner from last night for lunch today!:poison:)  The freezer appears to be working fine - the ice is still frozen - although it does look like there's water on the back wall instead of some ice I noticed a while back.  I think the ice maker is still making ice, and the lights still work, but no cooling in the fridge.  Oh, yes - and I appear to have somehow survived the shrimp unscathed.

Thanks - Louise

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:31 AM

Start with the refrigerator diagnostic HERE. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

#3 WannadoitmyselfOOPS

WannadoitmyselfOOPS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 01:03 PM

OK.  I tried turning the timer switch and heard the compressor start and then... stop almost immediately.  Now it won't start at all.  There is a fan blowing in there, though.  Also, a few minutes later (when I was stuck behind my dryer trying to figure out what's wrong with it -- look for that post under dryers!) I heard what sounded like a compressor start, so I wriggled out and opened both doors of the fridge and determined the sound was coming from the freezer.

From the information I've obtained from your site it appears I need to replace the defrost timer and the defrost terminator.  I've also got green slime in the tube leading up to the ice maker that I've never dealt with, so I'm thinking about calling it a day and getting a repair guy in.  What do you think?  Should I get someone in who can look over the rest of the fridge while he's here, or is that just setting myself up for trouble?  Also, what sort of price range would be fair to for someone to come fix it all? 

Thanks!  Louise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics