Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

WannadoitmyselfOOPS

GE fridge quit

3 posts in this topic

Yesterday I noticed my GE TFX20RNB side-by-side was making an unusual sound as it ran, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it.  This afternoon I realized it isn't cooling at all (this would be AFTER I ate my leftover shrimp dinner from last night for lunch today!:poison:)  The freezer appears to be working fine - the ice is still frozen - although it does look like there's water on the back wall instead of some ice I noticed a while back.  I think the ice maker is still making ice, and the lights still work, but no cooling in the fridge.  Oh, yes - and I appear to have somehow survived the shrimp unscathed.

Thanks - Louise

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Start with the refrigerator diagnostic HERE. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

OK.  I tried turning the timer switch and heard the compressor start and then... stop almost immediately.  Now it won't start at all.  There is a fan blowing in there, though.  Also, a few minutes later (when I was stuck behind my dryer trying to figure out what's wrong with it -- look for that post under dryers!) I heard what sounded like a compressor start, so I wriggled out and opened both doors of the fridge and determined the sound was coming from the freezer.

From the information I've obtained from your site it appears I need to replace the defrost timer and the defrost terminator.  I've also got green slime in the tube leading up to the ice maker that I've never dealt with, so I'm thinking about calling it a day and getting a repair guy in.  What do you think?  Should I get someone in who can look over the rest of the fridge while he's here, or is that just setting myself up for trouble?  Also, what sort of price range would be fair to for someone to come fix it all? 

Thanks!  Louise