Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

VELELLA

Whirlpool - Leak at drain grommet

4 posts in this topic

Whirlpool LA7800XKW0 leaking from around grommet (part #93553) sometimes during filling but mainly during agitating.  Looks like water is coming from around the top of the grommet.  How do I go about replacing the grommet?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

That is the sump grommet for a belt driven machine.  Pop the top up, remove snubber assy, remove splash guard, remove the agitator, remove the spin basket, remove the drive block, remove the 4 tub bolts and pull the tub up and out.  the tub sits on top of this grommet, is a pressure seal.  You might find excessive rusting on the base plate.  Be sure to order and replace the center tub grommet also that goes around the spin tube in the middle of the tub, you will need that also.

You may well find that the problem is rusting on the tub itself or, as Pegi says, the baseplate. In either case, it's "Game Over" (Tub difficult to get and expensive (over $200 plus shipping), baseplate NLA for a number of years). I don't think I've ever seen an issue with the actual grommet. If you are re-installing the tub, I strongly recommend new bolts/washers (comes as a kit, part number 76673) as well as the centre post gasket Pegi mentioned (part number 383727).

And find a tube of industrial sealant 800, it is a red sealant used on the older G.E. washers, we do not put these W.P. washers back together without first putting a bead of this sealent on the top of the sump grommet and around the center tub grommet and the tub where the tub bolts/rubbers go back down.  also a bead around the fill level bubble on the side of the tub.  This dries plyable so the washer will come back apart and this stuff eill peal off but sure works till it is removed.