Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

dead Friedrich AC unit, Model KM18J30B-3

paulcats02

Unit is a Friedrich Quietmaster Model KM18J30B-3. It doesn't turn on (doesn't work in "cool" or "fan only" modes). I have measured voltage at the outlet I am plugging into to make sure that is not the problem and there is 110V there. I opened up the unit and tested the switch, it appears to be fine (switched "off, I measure no continuity where in any of the "on" position, I have continuity). There is a big metal dual AmRad Ultramet capacitor that looks to be for the compressor and fan, I could measure the capacitance on that but am not sure what #'s to look for. On the cap it says 30.0/7.5V, I'm guessing that the former is for the compressor and the latter for the fan. Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is 2nd image of the cap... and i'm thinking to get the multimeter out, fired up and get testing

post-51113-129045118189_thumb.jpg

post-51113-12904511862_thumb.jpg

measured about 6-12nanoFarad between the test point(s) and common when it should be 30 and 7.5MicroFarad; basically nothing. it's about a $15 part but i'm not a big fan of shotgunning it so maybe i'll double check continuity on the switch to make sure that's not the prob...

Replace the capacitor. It is dead . they go bad quite often. expect to replace the new one in a few years as well.

A very easy indicator that a capacitor is bad is a bulging top. it should be totally flat. if it isn't it is bad.

actually i bought a replacement capacitor which i measured the capacitance of (right out of the box); it measured fine as expected:bananadance:.

prior to replacing the "suspect", for grins and giggles i measured it... lo and behold, it measured fine; when i measured it previously i had only removed the wires from the common terminal and left the wires on the fan and herm terminals so maybe that threw off the measurement? :?

so, at this stage of the game, i guess i need to look at the schematics and recheck the switch (maybe it's bad after all though it seems to test fine) as well as measure voltage at various points to see where it's dropping off.

:nerd:

what's throwing me off is that neither the fan nor the AC work, that's why I was suspcious  that there was a commonality that was/is the culprit but i just don't know which way to go...

:yikes:

bypass the cold control (thermostat) by tying the 2 wires together and see if the compressor comes on when the units is turned to cool. you may have more than one problem or you may have a bad selector switch.

• 3 weeks later...

>bypass the cold control (thermostat) by tying the 2 wires together and see if the >compressor comes on when the units is turned to cool. you may have more than one >problem or you may have a bad selector switch.

thanks for the reply by the way. was away for a while and now we're back it's hotter than heck here in NYC. what 2 wires am i to tye together, i have an alligator clip to alligator clip cable ready to go...?

regards

p

I dont have a diagram for this unit. How many wires do you have attached to the temperature control switch?

>dont have a diagram for this unit. How many wires do you have attached to the >temperature control switch

thanks for the post

i've got four wires attached to the temperature control switch

the thermostat sensor has 2 wires (one goes to the temperature control switch and the other to the control switch) 

great, thanks!

now i believe i am close to cooking with gas... or cooling with gas but not quite yet.

it looks like what i am calling the "thermostat sensor" is actually known as the "anticipator resistor" on this schematic; it looks like that is wired to to the system switch and the thermostat (temperature control). the thermostat is also wired to the compressor via the compressor wire harness and the system switch.

so maybe i need to tie those 2 wires together (the last 2 mentioned above)?

[user=51113]paulcats02[/user] wrote:

... (doesn't work in "cool" or "fan only" modes) ...

would seem to be a problem with the System Switch

Jump Line voltage Black to black, blue, or red on system switch and see if the fan comes on... (based on diagram above)

• 2 weeks later...

tried your suggestions for jumping the wires, appl.tech, and nothing happened... no fan.

since that effectively takes the switch out of the equation, my guess is that the switch is not defective as RegUS PatOff suggested.

looking at the schematic it looks like i have a bad compressor; not sure what else there could be that would fail since i have ruled out the breaker, power outlet, capacitor, the switch, and the thermostat.

not sure how exactly to confirm that, and if i could is it a readily available part, how much does it cost, do i need to take the unit out of the window to replace, etc...

:violin: 

If the Compressor was bad, the Fan should still work

check the voltage at the 2-position Fan/Rocker Switch

center Terminal (Brown) to chassis (a good ground)

Test the voltage with the Switch in each position

If no voltage:

test for voltage at each of the outer 2 terminals

Grey to chassis (a good ground)

Purple to chassis (a good ground)

thanks for the reply.

not sure if i understand though.

the fan is on a 5 position "Mode" switch (lo cool, med cool, hi cool, fan only, and off). then there is a 2 position rocker switch but that is for the "Moneysaver" feature (yes/no).

hey if it is just a bad switch i'd be happy as a pig in a sty but i still need to proof it out...

post-51113-129045118367_thumb.jpg

post-51113-129045118685_thumb.jpg

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

... check the voltage at the 2-position Fan/Rocker Switch

[user=51113]paulcats02[/user] wrote:

thanks for the reply.

not sure if i understand though.

the fan is on a 5 position "Mode" switch (lo cool, med cool, hi cool, fan only, and off). then there is a 2 position rocker switch but that is for the "Moneysaver" feature (yes/no).

hey if it is just a bad switch i'd be happy as a pig in a sty but i still need to proof it out...

The purpose of the "money Saver" switch is when it is on it will cycle the fan (shutting it off) with the compressor.

Therefore you may have two problems.

1. Bad selector switch

2. Bad "Money Saver" switch.

Unfortunately the computer here at the health care facility I am in will not allow me to open the diagram. (Adobe blocked) :(

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

If the Compressor was bad, the Fan should still work

check the voltage at the 2-position Fan/Rocker Switch

center Terminal (Brown) to chassis (a good ground)

Test the voltage with the Switch in each position

If no voltage:

test for voltage at each of the outer 2 terminals

Grey to chassis (a good ground)

Purple to chassis (a good ground)

Archived