Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag refrigerator door shelves fall off!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 fool4jesus

fool4jesus

Ikkō-ikki

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:57 AM

Hi all, we have a Maytag MSD2756AE refrigerator (side-by-side) with adjustable door shelves. The inside of the door is made of one piece of molded plastic in a shape like this:

Posted Image

The places marked "Shelves hang here" have little plastic built-in cleats that the shelves hang on. (I hope this makes sense.) The problem seems to be that the two sides are slightly too far apart, so the shelves tend to fall off. Not all the time - the sides are close enough so that, most of the time, the shelves stay on. But after a period of time (weeks usually), the shelves work their way over to one side or the other far enough so that the other side of the shelf is no longer held up by the cleat, and the shelf falls off the door.

There don't seem to be any adjustments for this - the only things I can think of is either to widen the cleats by gluing a piece of plastic over top of them or somehow pulling the sides closer together (hot air gun or something). I appreciate any wisdom that can be applied.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:21 AM

Dayyam, I don't think I ever seen that problem.  What about you, Fixum?

Fool, is your refrigerator over a year old?  If not, call for warranty service and throw it back on Maytag.  I checked my Maytag service database (updated monthly) for bulletins on your fridge--model number didn't pull up.  Re-check it and post any corrections.

#3 fool4jesus

fool4jesus

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:57 AM

Unfortunately, it is more than one year old. The Maytag web site doesn't even show this model anymore. My guess is that it's 3-4 years old. (We got it from a friend who bought it but didn't end up having space in their kitchen for it or something. I had to trim my cabinets to fit the thing in my kitchen, too.)

It's a nice, big (26.5) refrigerator that works great except the door shelves fall off from time to time. :( I looked at the pictures on your site that talks about mis-installing the door gasket and that warping the door. The door doesn't appear to be warped, but I'm wondering if that can cause my problem, too.

#4 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:08 PM

i have seen this. the door liner is warped and the correct solution is to replace it. door liners are expensive you may want to try to glue the shelves into place.

RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#5 fool4jesus

fool4jesus

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:31 AM

Ok, that makes sense. I just sighted down the side of the thing from the top, and it does seem to be bowed out in the middle. I just did a search and it looks like partselect.com has the thingy for $60 plus shipping and so forth. I'll just order a new one.

One question: There are about 30 billion tiny screws around the outside of it and it looks like the rubber door seal is below this liner. To get to the screws towards the corners, you really have to push back the seal quite far. Do I have to replace the seal? It seems to be in fine condition, and it's another 48 simoleans. I guess even it was a new seal, you'd have to push it back just as far.

#6 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

yep you just stretch it to get at the screws. i recommend removing the door from the fridge and laying it on the floor. its kind of a pain with all of those screws but not a hard job.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

[user=24]fool4jesus[/user] wrote:

I just did a search and it looks like partselect.com has the thingy for $60 plus shipping and so forth. I'll just order a new one.

Fun Fact to Know and Tell:  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see a handy-dandy parts lookup form.  When you buy parts through that form from our parts partner, you help support the Samurai School of Appliantology.  If we helped you figger out what's wrong with your miserable appliance, how 'bout helping us out by buying the parts through our parts links?  The prices are good, and you can return any part for any reason, even if you already installed it. 

#8 fool4jesus

fool4jesus

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:36 AM

Sorry, I already ordered the stuff. I didn't notice your form down there. I know, I know, it's right there, I should have seen it. I guess I instinctively go to the search box on my browser bar. Next time that's what I'll do.

BTW, I remember seeing a link that I could use to make a donation to your site. I remember that there was a home wiring guide or something included. I'd like to donate to your site (and, yes, I'll admit it, I want the wiring guide too ... ;)) I like to work on stuff around the house, but I'm always a little daunted at first by new and unfamiliar things. Your site lowers this "wall of unfamiliarity" of home appliances.

You should have seen me when I cleaned out the check valve that was keeping our dishwasher from draining ... that picture you have of the young lady thrilled to be fixing her washer or dryer or whatever ... that was me too. :D

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:59 AM

BTW, I remember seeing a link that I could use to make a donation to your site. I remember that there was a home wiring guide or something included. I'd like to donate to your site (and, yes, I'll admit it, I want the wiring guide too ... ;)) I like to work on stuff around the house, but I'm always a little daunted at first by new and unfamiliar things. Your site lowers this "wall of unfamiliarity" of home appliances.

That would be the United Samurai Beer Fund page.  Yep, if your love-offering is $30 or more, I'll send you the home wiring DVD as a free gift.  It's a great DVD-- I learned a thang or two from it myself!

Glad to help and I appreciate your support!  :D

#10 fool4jesus

fool4jesus

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 06:44 AM

Ok, I just went one better and signed up as a student in your school of appliantology. Note to everybody reading this: sign up for this thing before the Samurai changes his mind! For only $49 you get direct access to the Samurai for a year as well as the DVD.

As to your stringent entrance requirements, I can read a multimeter. I have a master's degree in electrical engineering and (despite that handicap :)) installed the wiring in my workshop, including putting in a subpanel and 240V circuits. But I expect I'll still pick up pearls of wisdom from your DVD.

Thanks for your dedication to all us grasshopper appliantologists!

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,844 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for your dedication to all us grasshopper appliantologists!

Glad to help and thanks for subscribing! :D I try to give a lot of value for the ridiculously low subscription fee of $49.  You should have received your access link to the repair manual stash by now.  I'm always adding to the stash, too, based on Grasshopper needs so if there's a manual you need, lemme know.  And your DVD will be sent out via snail mail today to your Paypal address. 

#12 Lurker_Not-a-clue_*

Lurker_Not-a-clue_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:11 PM

I have the same problem with my fridge!  Did you fix it with the part you orderd?:?

#13 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:35 PM

Post your model and serial number. I know of 3 fixes depending on that information. One can not be used on the other. Model and serial are located at the top of the Fresh Food ceiling. 
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#14 fool4jesus

fool4jesus

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

Not-a-clue, I ordered the part, but they called me back after a week or so and told me they didn't have any. They said they could get it sent from the warehouse in Canada, but it would cost like $100 for shipping. Ouch! So I never have replaced it.

"Trying to help": Model #MSD2756AE , serial #11613305WQ

#15 Lurker_denbobp_*

Lurker_denbobp_*

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:47 AM

I have the same model number with the shelves falling out due to bowed out sides. What is the fix part number or do you have to buy the whole liner? Part number is msd 2756ae.

#16 Lurker_denbobp_*

Lurker_denbobp_*

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:49 AM

What was the part number???

#17 Lurker_denbobp_*

Lurker_denbobp_*

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

model is maytag msd2756AEW ser. num. 11812395WU. Thanks for any help, my toe really hurts......

#18 fool4jesus

fool4jesus

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:47 AM

denbobp: And you're probably getting tired of spilling cans and bottles of stuff all over your kitchen floor too, huh? In the meantime, I have developed a feel for when the shelf is about to fall out. The door catches just a little when you open it, and it makes kind of a shifting noise. That's what we call "a clue."

#19 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:03 AM

THe fix on this unit is to order in the inner liner. The made it slightly narrower and beefed it up a little.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#20 Verkan

Verkan

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:25 PM

My MSD2756AE also had the sides bow out and start dropping shleves. Of couirse it went two years before it started acting up.

I 'solved" the problem with some wire, eyebolts, washers and a  drill.  Kinda fugly, but the shelves stay put.

I'll check into replacing the entire inner liner, that's good information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics