Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Warm Whirlpool Fridge

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:28 PM

Newbie-Miller drinking-Harley riding-first time ever-appliance repairman here!

My Whirlpool ET20NKXAN00 fridge wasn't keeping the Miller cold, so i searched this site and found the great wisdom I needed! I manually cycled the defrost timer about 5 times and the defrost cycle ran great each time, until no more water drained and then the cold air once again poured through the little vent into my fridge area. Sweetness!  So I picked up a new defrost timer and installed it tonight. here's my problemo - it appears to me that the timer only runs when in the defrost mode. when defrosting is done, the fridge turns on and cools, but the timer isn't running (it's case is clear so I can see the little black wheel spin on the motor inside when in the defrost mode). according to the wiring I have and the instructions that came with the new timer, I have a cumulative run application, so the timer should run whenever the compressor is running. I am 150% positive I have it connected properly and that the extra black wire coming out the side of the timer is on the correct terminal (pink - #2).  So, am i wrong in thinking the spinning black wheel that runs with the defrost mode is an indication that the timer is running?  I've tried moving the extra black wire to the positive terminal as in a continual run application and it doesn't run then either!  Please shed some missing info on this so i can sleep tonight! As it is now, it will only be advancing the timer when in defrost mode, and thus will never advance unless I manually do it.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:02 PM

I must confess sometimes I have trouble deciding where to put that little timer motor wire on the new timer.. The area I work in now doesn't have too many older whirlpool refrigerators.  I remember back in the olden days instead of even reading the instruction or looking at the schematic I would simply look at the timer I pulled out for guidance.  Sometimes I would even have to remove a couple of screws from the old timer.  You didn't throw it away did you?  You can sleep tonight. even if there is a problem it won't begin to show up till the weekend.

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

The force is telling me that your box is suffering from a lack of correct refrigerated refreshment. Replace with Newcastle, Bass, Boddingtons, Guinness, Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale and McEwan's Scotch Ale. Repeat as necessary.
:pint::pint::pint::pint::gulp::gulp::gulp::gulp:
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:56 PM

the loose black wire should be connected to the orange wire,as this is the "HOT" (not positive as it is alternating current) wire to the compressor,the neutral is wired internally in the timer already- if you wire it this way,the timer motor should run when the compressor runs-thus "accumulative" status is achieved.  if you have the loose wire on the pink,this would only advance the motor while the unit is defrosting.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:11 AM

I'm with ya on the orange wire - makes sense to me too, but it doesn't work. I connect it there and the timer motor doesn't run. it just doesn't make any sense to me at all. seems that the only way i can get the timer motor to run is connect it to the pink wire and put it in defrost mode.

#6 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:40 AM

let me try           I  I  I    I      1 2 3  4 i know they are not numbered this way ,  these would be your timer timernals

the motor wires go to 2 and 4 for constant run of the timer motor  2 is the hot lead  and as the timer switches between 2 and 1  or  2 and 3  it will be either in defrost or cooling mode as you can see 2 is the common hot lead. 

SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:48 AM

bear in mind that the motor in the timer will only run when the thermostat calls for cool and the compressor is running.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:56 AM

yep, I believe it - but the fact of the matter is that the timer only runs when in defrost mode, and the directions clearly state to attach it to the pink wire. If i switch it to the orange wire like you suggest - and I agree with you, it still doesn't run. at all - not when the compressor is running, not in defrost, never.

Could the problem be with any other components?  Thermostat - does it somehow trigger the timer to run?? 

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:59 AM

does the fridge seem to work ok otherwise?  compressor,fans,cooling effect etc?

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:00 AM

is there a wiring diagram on the unit somewhere?  probably folded neatly and stuffed into the inside of the bottom kickplate

#11 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:02 AM

yep, got it right in front of me

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

does it show a neutral connection directly to the timer motor on the diagram?

#13 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:12 AM

it shows a double red that goes to the condensor and the thermostat, an orange that goes to the power saver switch and the thermostat, a black that is hot and ties in the light switch, and a pink that connects to the "test therm" which on my unit is an empty pigtail unter the control panel and then also connects to the bi-metal.

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

what color are the 4 wires that connect to the timer

#15 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

Thanks for the help - i have to run, will return in about 90 minutes.....

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 September 2005 - 07:25 AM

When you return, post your wiring diagram so we won't need to play 20 Questions to figure out what's going on.

#17 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:08 AM

Red, orange, black and pink

#18 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:17 AM

the replacement timer you are using should be part #482493, measure for resistance between the loose disconnected terminal and the 4 terminals on the timer and tell us which terminal you find resistance at (will be fairly high resistance 500-1500 ohms)

#19 Cruzinjeff

Cruzinjeff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:23 AM

I'm not sure how to read resistance, but my ohmeter only responds when i touch terminal number 3 with the red wire on it.

#20 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 03:27 AM

what color wire goes to #3?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics