Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fridaire Gallery Front Load Washer won't drain / spin

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 PeterN

PeterN

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

My 4 year old machine model # FWT647GHSO has stopped moving cycles.  The timer moves ahead, but it only washes.  It will not go into drain and then spin.  I think this happend when the power went out in the middle of a cycle.  I tried unplugging it for 15 minutes in the hopes that the computer would reset.  I have tried running it through full cycles, but it only keeps on washing never letting new water in, draining or spinning!

What should I do next?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

Remove the front panel, take the suction hose off the pump and remove the coins and bobby pins from the pump impeller. Good to go.

Posted Image

#3 PeterN

PeterN

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:31 AM

Samurai Man you are truly honourable!  Your straightforward advice has saved me from Fridigaire Factory Service.  I have made a contribution to the United Samuari Beer Fund as an expression of my gratitude!

Thank You.:)

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:36 AM

Glad I could help. And much domos for the brewskis! :cheers:

#5 Lurker_tofte9_*

Lurker_tofte9_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:15 PM

My same machine drains but doesn't spin. I checked the pump for obstructions but there were none. The belt is still on the motor. I can spin the drum and see the motor rote.Thanks

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 03:59 PM

Drain but no-spin is a totally different problem. That's either gonna be the door latch assembly or the speed control board.

#7 Lurker_tofte9_*

Lurker_tofte9_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. The door still locks, so does that rule out the door assembly part?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

Lock light comes on and tapping the door at the latch area doesn't kick it off? Probably looking at replacing the speed control board. Remove the front bottom quarter panel and get the tech sheet. It has a procedure for testing the motor and speed control board.

#9 Lurker_tofte9_*

Lurker_tofte9_*

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:16 AM

I bought an amp probe and tried to follow the test procedures. I got 120 volts across pins 5&6, but the next step puzzled me. Would you suggest I order a board and hope this is the correct part based on what I've told you? It looks easy enough to install. When I get home I could respond with the directions that confused me.Thanks.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

Most of the time, these problems are a bad speed control board. If you order a new one from this link and it doesn't fix it, you can return it.

#11 Lurker_tofte9_*

Lurker_tofte9_*

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:54 PM

Hey Samuri Repair Man. You were right. I overnighted a new board and everythings copasetic. Enjoy the beers.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:48 PM

Cool beans, dude! Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. And mucho domos for the brewskis! :cheers:

#13 bridget

bridget

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Remove the front panel, take the suction hose off the pump and remove the coins and bobby pins from the pump impeller. Good to go.

Posted Image

I'm trying to check this out on my machine, but I can't get the hose off the pump. (Just to verify--in the picture this hose is fastened with a red clamp, right?) I did manage to pry the clamp that fastens the "coin catcher" thing and, of course, dumped water all over the inside of the machine--however, there does not seem to be anything choking off the water flow in this area. Is there some trick to this that I'm missing? Thank you.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:22 PM

The suction hose IS the coin catcher thingy. Sounds like you already removed it.

#15 inadancer

inadancer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

similar problem here at my house...my washer keeps stopping and starting through its cycle....realized today that when you push on the door it starts again.  the door lock light remains on all the time....what part do i need to replace?  the whole door lock/latch kit assembly with the wiring and everything?  or just the door lock/switch assembly?

#16 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

What is your model number? With some of the older ones you need to replace one of the counterweights and some of the harness needs to be rerouted, it all comes as a kit with good instructions. Did you make sure the piece attached to the door is not broken?
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#17 inadancer

inadancer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:08 PM

model number is FWT449GFS1...the piece attached to the door (the prongs that go into the latch) is not broken...i replaced that last year and bought a spare one.....the counterweights you mentioned...is that a cement block?  does it need to be removed before the actual door latch/switch/lock can be removed?

#18 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:39 AM

The piece you need is 131888900 which comes with the new counterweight, door lock and harness. You will need to remove the old counterweight and replace it with the one in the kit. It can all be done from the front of the unit.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,189 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:49 PM

Part link for door latch switch and counterweight kit: http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=820920

#20 sammo

sammo

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

I'm chasing a similar problem with my Frigidaire (FWT449GFS1). Drains but won't spin. I started walking through the diagnostic, and got only to step 2: I removed the belt and pulled the knob. The motor runs. It says to check the timer line switch and door lock switch...all wires seem to be in place, and not rusted. Pushing on the door doesn't make it spin. Is there some way for me to tell which of these is the problem? Should I order a new door lock unit, or is there some test I can do on these parts to prove they're broken before I replace them?

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics