Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
PeterN

Fridaire Gallery Front Load Washer won't drain / spin

52 posts in this topic

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Remove the front panel, take the suction hose off the pump and remove the coins and bobby pins from the pump impeller. Good to go.

frigidaireFL2.jpg?dc=4675451357248937695

Hello, I had this problem a couple weeks ago and found a bra underwire stuck in the motor.  After following your sage advice, everything has been working fine since then. 

Yesterday, it stopped pumping the water out again.  I ran another load and it worked.  This morning, it wasn't pumping again, so I took it apart in search of yet another underwire.  This time there was nothing.  I did notice, however, that in trying to spin the blades by hand, there was a lot of "startup" resistance.  I put it all back together and its working fine again.

My question is whether the on again / off again nature of this problem, coupled with the difficult in hand spinning the blade is a good indication that the water pump in the nine year old machine needs to be replaced.  What do you think?  I certainly don't enjoy wrestling the red metal flangy things and getting stinky water all over my laundryroom floor.  Should I bite the bullet and replace the pump, or does it need some kind of WD40 lubrication treatment? I took the plastic cover off that sits just above the motor and the motor itself is pretty rusty looking.

Muchas Gracias and Feliz Cerveza!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You can inadvertantly damage any motor by trying to run it in a locked rotor state. I'd replace the pump.

Re. door lock kits....

DONT waste the time and effort changing the weight, throw it away

ive done frigidaire service for 5 +years and have changed hundreds of those kits and never changed the weight, i have yet to see one latch assembly damaged by the old weight

[user=9503]AccApp[/user] wrote:

You can inadvertantly damage any motor by trying to run it in a locked rotor state. I'd replace the pump.

Okay, I bought the new pump (part number 131268401) but the connector locations for the green grounding wire and the "power harness" are on the left side of the pump instead of on the right like the old pump. 

The photo shows the new pump on the right and the old pump on the left.  Notice that with the new pump, I'm having to route the two sets of wires across the top of the pump and, therefore, cannot fix the plastic, protective water shield (I guess this is what it is) across the top of the pump.  If I mount the pump with the power connectors facing right, then the discharge valve is on the wrong side.

What is the solution here?  Does Frigidaire sell some kind of wire extenders that extend the length of the ground wire and the wiring harness to solve just this problem?  If so, what are the part numbers?  Or, is there some way to reverse the direction of the discharge valve?

As always, grazie mille e birra molta!!

Tommaso Primo

post-27702-12904509768_thumb.jpg

looks like a generic model. A common problem associated with tese washers is a generic sub pump. 1 size fitz all. and you have to figure out how to make it work. hok the wires up first then the hoses and try to make at least one screw hold the pump in place or leave it loose. It aint a space shuttle is it? wait with all these gadgets it might be!

post-4554-129045097687_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I figured it out.  You have to disconnect the white plastic thingy that attaches to the hose and rotate the whole pump over.  As you said, its designed to be a bit universal and I just had to monkey around with it until I figured it out.

Cheers,

Tommaso Primo

I HAVE A KENMORE 417-440925000 FRONT LOADING WASHER, IT WASHES FINE AND DRAINS BUT, ALAS, NO SPIN, I THINK IT IS TRYING TO ENTER THE SPIN CYCLE AND WILL GO ABOUT 2 SLOW ROTATAIONS EACH WAY THEN IT QUITS THE DISPLAY SIMULTANIOUSLY GOES BLANK AND THERE ARE 2 SETS OF BEEPS FOLLOWING, THE DISPLAY REMAINS BLANK AND THE MACHINE DOES NOTHING MORE. IN YOUR EARLIER POSTS IT SEEMS TO POINT TO THE SPIN CONTROL BOARD, BUT THERE IS NOT A LISTING FOR ONE ON MY MODEL

Outstanding suggesting, Sublime Master AccApp! ;)

I thought I was pretty flippin' smart, finding this topic on this website with exactly the solution to my problem.

Unfortunately, there were still parts I could screw up, and I have.

I got the hose off, flooded my garage (could have used a little more warning to be prepared for that, by the way), and could not find an obstruction in either the hose or the pump. I hooked it back up, and viola, it drained, then spun it's heart out and I rescued the load of laundry and put it in the dryer.

I had one towel to "catch" the water (HA!), and it was a mess, so I tossed it in and thought I'd find out how my newly fixed washer worked. I was busy cleaning up the mess, blow-drying the indoor-outdor carpet, etc., when I noticed to my dismay that I hadn't seen the washer spin yet. Sure enough, I looked and it was in the final spin cycle, but it was just flopping around, and hadn't drained.

I'm smart enough that I left the cover off of the machine, but I'm not that fired up about going back in without a little more idea of what I'm looking for.

Should I have taken off the boot instead? Will I have the same water issue if I do that?

This is a fridgidare Gallery circa 1999, model # FWT449GFS2

Thanks for getting me this far and please get me the rest of the way!

I have an update, and not a good one.

I took off the boot, found a few things but nothing substantial

I thought if I repeated the process of taking off the hose and draining the tub, I could rinse and spin another load of clothes. It didn't work, no draining going on at all.

I think I have a bad pump. Any ideas?

Thank you. I have a neighbor who speaks that language.

[user=37019]jcannon[/user] wrote:

If he also speaks Heineken, you're all set...

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

[user=37019]jcannon[/user] wrote:
If he also speaks Heineken, you're all set...

Luckily, he speaks "brownies," and my wife bakes mean ones.

Well, with the help of my neighbor and his multimeter, we established that the pump is indeed carrying 120 volts.

The book says that it's the timer. Any thoughts from the experts?

If nothing is plugged , 120v to pump , and no pumping of water --- the impellar may have come off the motor shaft = a new pump.

Thanks. I think it's time to get someone over here who knows what they're doing. Thanks to all for the education.

My GE front loading washer has a similar problem: door lock light will come on but cycle won't start.  Sometimes if I bang on the front of the washer (around the area above the door latch) that would trigger it to start, but lately that doesn't seem to work anymore.  Does that mean the door latch assembly needs to be replaced?

Also, I found the latch assembly for this GE washer:

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=824420&PPStack=1

But it looks like the Frigidaire version is the same and cost almost 2/3 less:

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=774920&PPStack=1

Are these identical?

TIA

It could be ...

Your model is made for GE by Frigidaire..

Do you have a model number ? (there are a few)

Many GE parts are 2 to 3 times the cost of the same part for other brands..

http://applianceguru.com/forum2/6042.html

GE® imagination at work

Wow, thanks [user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user]!  The service manual is really helpful.  I went ahead and ordered the frigidaire lock assembly.  Hopefully this is all I need to fix my washer problem.

Thanks again!

Any part ordered from RepairClinic can be returned in original condition within 30 days for a refund (less shipping).

I got the gunk out of the hose - plus $1.68, a nail, and the wire from an underwire bra (I wondered where and how I could have lost that... ).  Put it all back together and it spun.  Did a happy dance.  Threw in another load and it wouldn't drain.  I'm thinking something stuck in the pump?  I got the pump cover off, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the pump itself off.  Help me?

Thanks!