Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore washer model 22722100

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JoAnne

JoAnne

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:06 AM

I need to replace the outer plastic tub--It has a hole in it and leaks water(only at high level). The parts are under warranty.  Is it worth it to fix myself?  It is 5 years old and paid $400 for it.  It would cost me $65 plus labor to have Sears come out.  They would not tell me what the labor cost is or how long.  They contract it out and would have no way of knowing and would not tell me how to contact anyone. Or buy the 1 year $189 warranty from them and have them fix it.  Would this be an all day project?  My husband has taken washers apart before but not a  good fix it man patience wise. Also if we do replace what other parts may we need to complete the project. Will we need that special wrench?

Or I could just do half loads for the life of the washer which works great otherwise.

Thanks for your opinion.  JoAnne

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:14 AM

Have you removed the washer cabinet and actually laid eyeballs on this hole?  Or does the washer leak on high water level and you're assuming there's a hole in the tub?

#3 JoAnne

JoAnne

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:40 AM

Yes--we removed and saw the hole.  An appliance guy was installing something for me and was nice enough to take a quick look while he was here.  He said the repair was not worth it--but at that time did not know parts had warrenty.

#4 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:58 AM

I hope you "took care of the guy"

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,928 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:00 AM

[user=326]JoAnne[/user] wrote:

Yes--we removed and saw the hole.  An appliance guy was installing something for me and was nice enough to take a quick look while he was here. 

He took apart your washer and diagnosed it at no additional charge?  Like Jedi said, I hope you tipped him well. 

The outer tub is just plastic.  Since the hole is up high and doesn't have to bear pressure, just resist splashing, you can just epoxy a new piece of plastic over the hole and that would probably be good enough.  You've got nothing to lose at this point. 

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

One thing you need to check is that all the suspension springs etc. are properly attached. The only time I've ever seen this kind of tub damage on one of these is if one of the front springs comes adrift and the tub leans over, causing the basket to rub a hole in it.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

Are you SURE the outer tub is bad? You say it leaks ONLY when there is a high water level. Can you actually SEE where the water exits from? Before you throw money at a problem be sure of where the fault lies. Try opening it up and have a look see while its doing its thing.
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#8 JoAnne

JoAnne

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:28 AM

Yes, I am sure.  The hole is about 3" wide and 6" long at top at one of the points where balance ring would attach (it is loose on that side)--and that is where the water leaks.  I think my husband is going to try the epoxy fix---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics