Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

stuck in diagnostic mode.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 revchev

revchev

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:24 AM

recently bought a newly returned dw from sears outlet. got it hooked up. ran a test cycle to make sure all is well before i
put my dishes in it. well it stopped part way into the wash
cycle and the clean light was flashing. read the user manual
and determined that the grean light is flashing a code 7.
looked up on the net and found that the code is for heater
circut open. examined unit found the orange wire disconnected. reconnected wire.unit would not work, still flashing the clean light (green light). I am aware theres a way to clear the code. but dont know how. ive download a tech sheet from your awsome website, and got into the (rapid advance service feature and diagnostic cycles). however dont know what to do with it, or how to exit. have years of diag/repair experience on high end german vehicles, but not on consumer appliances. this grasshopper is lost. can you help me MASTER SAMURAI?

kencrap model# 665.17023401 (checked 3 times with flashlight)
thanks
revchev

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:50 AM

Pegi posted some good info on the rapid advance feature in this thread.

#3 revchev

revchev

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

this is the same thread where i got my tech sheet. however
im not sure how to use it. if i am in rapid, advance, or diag mode how do i get out of it? or am i supposed to set the selections and if so how? sorry so many questions. this grasshopper has been chewing on the wrong grass...

thanks
revchev

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:33 AM

[align=left]NOTE 2 – THERMISTOR OPEN/SHORT DETECTION[/align]

[align=left]The Diagnostics Test cycle will illuminate the ‘CLEAN’ LED[/align]

[align=left]throughout the operating portion of the cycle that follows the[/align]

[align=left]initial display test interval whenever it detects a “short circuit”[/align]

[align=left]or “open circuit” on the thermistor input.[/align]

[align=left]Note: Warm water must be in the dishwasher when[/align]

[align=left]performing this test. The highest thermistor resistance values[/align]

[align=left]the control can detect as its open circuit criteria are close to[/align]

[align=left]the normal thermistor resistance at room temperature.[/align]

[align=left]Consequently, this indicator is only reliable for “open circuit”[/align]

[align=left]detection if warm water is in the dishwasher.[/align]

Reading this perhaps there is still something wrong with the unit???  Is there not a warranty on this dishwasher at all??

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 revchev

revchev

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:58 PM

yes there is warranty on the unit. however i have an appt for this sat, because my new kencrap fridge wont freeze my ice cream. i called to see if they could fix the dw and they told me i would have to schedule another appt for it. go figure.
ok, the clean light is out. i put some dishes in it for a test run. if i press the hi temp, air dry, hi temp, all the lights light up. i hit cancle. pressed normal wash. the problem is that its been washing for an hour. doesnt change cycles. what am i doing wrong?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

Sounds like you might still have a problem with the heat circuit......will not advance till the water is heated.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

Also note this is a Whirlpool dishwasher with the kenmore name on the front and there were recalls out about defective heaters in some units but since this is a Kenmore with their model number I have no way of knowing if this is within the recall, Sears would have that information so you really need to have Warranty service take a look at this unit since I find it suspicious that the wire had been removed from the heating element???

#8 revchev

revchev

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:33 PM

well ive found the problem. after reading the user manual again it seems that a full wash cycle is varies from 2.0-2.5 hrs... hmmm... dosent seem very efficient. the last dw took about an hour.
thanks for all of your input. i really apreciate it. you guys
are the best site ive found for help for repairs.

thanks
revchev

#9 dadfixit

dadfixit

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:25 AM

I was reading this thread because I also have a Whirlpool dishwasher that has the Clean light flashing on and off 7 times.

This is a new (July) dishwasher and we had the service guy out 2 weeks ago for this same problem. He replaced the controller module, but now the problem is back. :(

I was particularly interested in the recalls Pegi mentioned. Any more details on them?

Thanks,

D.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - A. Einstein

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:10 AM

No way to do any checking without your model and serial number and is this a plastic tub or not.

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:23 AM

Here is the service pointer for the heater re-work for the WP dishwashers.

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:29 AM

Here is the service pointer about the clean light blinking 7 times...

#13 TechnicianBrian

TechnicianBrian

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

The flashing clean light is can be caused by many things, but generally is tech or installer induced.  Since we have been doing lot's of the Whirlpool recalls, we get a couple calls we created ourselves.  Once the dishwasher goes into the fault mode, it must be reset by going into the diag mode as outlined in the tech sheet (look under your kickplate) and then getting out of it by hitting the cancel button twice.  I have found heaters unplugged, the pump unplugged, and a couple times the thermistor was unplugged (look underneath for loose wires).  I have also found the door latch not contacting both switches causing a problem too.  Many control boards have been replaced to solve this problem due to a lack of finding a real problem.  The firmware on the boards seems to be a little to willing to lock up the dishwasher thinking there is a problem when many times there isn't.  If you reset the fault and it returns, call Whirlpool about getting it fixed.  You may find once you find the source and reset the fault, the problem will be solved for good.

Brian

#14 dadfixit

dadfixit

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:06 AM

I tried to post yesterday, but for some reason it didn't take.

Everyone - thanks so much for the info. The service guy was here again yesterday and determined that the problem was indeed with one of the two door switches not making. (as Brian indicated in the last post). I think the service guy played around with the leveling legs of the DW to remedy the problem.

The door has never seemed to close properly. Right out of the box (before installation) you had to push the door with quite a bit of force to get it to latch. I even had to train the kids so they knew where to push (and how hard).

Anyway my Whirlpool (Quiet Partner 1) model number is DU1050XTPT3 and to enter the "Rapid Advanced Diagnostics mode the key sequence is:

Hi-Temp Wash, Heated Dry, Hi-Temp Wash, Heated Dry

I guess they keep changing their minds on what to call the keys.:?

Thanks everyone for the help. I feel much better now that i know how to clear the fault codes (in case this comes back). I have a large family (8 kids):yikes: and it took us almost an hour to wash the dishes by hand the other night (it was a huge turkey dinner with all the fixings though).

They're right - this forum is "Best Viewed With A BEER!" Too bad it's 9:00 AM - Is that too early?

D.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - A. Einstein

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:14 AM

[user=4038]dadfixit[/user] wrote:

They're right - this forum is "Best Viewed With A BEER!" Too bad it's 9:00 AM - Is that too early?

Nah, just make it a light beer. I'll join you. :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics