Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

joebuzz

Water collecting inside of refrigerator under crispers

15 posts in this topic

I noticed water had run down the back of the refrigerator from just behind the control panel, collecting beneath the crispers until it overflowed onto my floor. What is causing this to happen and what can I do to rectify the problem?  Thanks!!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

GE Model# TBX25PRBSRAA Refrigerator / Freezer on Top

Your defrost drain system is clogged, start with taking the freezer apart to see if the drain trough is iced over, if it is clear check the drain system in the frig rear under the freezer compartment.

I have emptied the freezer section and there doesn't seem to be anything to take apart.  Could you be a little more specific?  Thanks!!

There are 3 vertical brackets in the back.  One on each side and one holding up the icemaker. If I remove them, will the back panel come off?  It would appear that the icemaker will have to go.  Tell me it ain't so.  If indeed so, is the icemaker hard to remove?  Thanks!!

I removed the back and the drain is holding water.  That would mean that there is an obstruction in the line.  What do I need to do to clear the obstruction?  Thanks!!

Might try running something down the drain tube to see if can clear the line like some 1/4 plastic water line. 

Does the drain tube run down the back of the refrigerator on the outside?  Thanks!!

No soap on trying to clear it.  I am going to try a hair dryer to thaw it out, if it is ice, and maybe loosen it up if it isn't. Any other ideas?  Thanks!!

Yes it runs down the back to the drain pan underneath, you might be able to remove the drain line from the connection on the back of the box to help see where the clog is.  Hot salt water helps if it is an ice clog...

So far nothing has worked.  I have shut down the refrigerator and it is defrosting.  If it isn't clear by tomorrow morning I am going to modify an air gun with a piece of 1/4" copper tubing, insert it in the drain line and attempt to blow the obstruction out with my compressor (with the pressure turned down). Your thoughts??

That'll work.

After defrosting the refrigerator I determined that it must have been an ice buildup.  I used the compressor to check the drain line and then I ran water down it to confirm that it was clear.  Thanks a million for your assistance!!!!