Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dishwasher won't run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 t3nth0mbs

t3nth0mbs

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:48 PM

My Kenmore dishwasher (model 665.1687582) is stuck in the middle of a cycle. It filled for the wash, but won't continue. If I cut and restore the power, when I push the settings buttons it occasionally makes clicking noises for 15-20 seconds, as if it were moving through the cycle, but then it stops.

The Cancel and Drain function won't kick in, either, so I can't drain the compartment.

Is this the control unit/timer? If so, how involved is it to repair?

Thanks for your help.

(You helped me replace the fill valve on this unit several years back, and the dryer you helped me fix is still running. This forum is the greatest.)

t3nth0mbs

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:22 AM

Clicking noises from... the control panel? the motor?

Is the motor getting voltage?

#3 t3nth0mbs

t3nth0mbs

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

I pulled the cover and tried to start a wash cycle. The clicking comes from down below the tub. There is also the ticking of something like a clock or timer, at the bottom right (as you view the dishwasher). The motor seemed to hum for a second or two (as though it were trying to start), but then everything shut down. After some period of time, there were few more clicks, and then nothing. When I tried to run the Cancel & Drain function, the same things happen.

There's a lot of stuff in the way of the motor. I'll admit to being a bit ignorant. Where do I check for power to the motor? (I have a volt/ohmmeter, and I know how to use it; I just don't know where on the dishwasher to apply the leads. Also, I'm assuming this is 115V AC to the motor.)

Again, thanks for your help. (My employer eliminated my job in September of 2004. I've been working as a substitute teacher, without benefits, so turning this over to a repair person is out of the question right now.)

t3nth0mbs

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:59 PM

Your motor is either jammed or fried.

Long shot: Disassemble from the spray arm down to the wash impeller. Might find a chicken bone, or something, jamming the impeller.

Honestly, that's unlikely. Usually, when I see this problem, there's been a long term drip on the motor and it finally fries. Remove kickplates and look for signs of rust on the motor to confirm.

#5 t3nth0mbs

t3nth0mbs

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

I took a look at the lower wash arm assembly. There's actually a plastic housing that covers the drain area, with only some small (1/2" X 1/2") holes to allow the water to drain down to the motor area. I poked my pinkie down one of the holes and moved the housing around one full revolution. I felt nothing. I certainly wasn't down all the way, though.

Given my job situation, I have to see of there's an obstruction down near the impeller. How do I get all the way down? Do I just bail the water out of the tub and then remove the housing cover? Or must the spray arm come off first? If so, how does it come off?

If you can give me a brief step-by-step, I'll check it out.

Finally, if the problem really is a motor that's shot, is it worth trying to replace the motor? (Translation: how much is a new motor, and how difficult is it to replace and still maintain a tight seal?) Or is it time to think about replacing the dishwasher (when I start working full-time)?

Again, thanks for all your help.

t3nth0mbs

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:19 PM

[user=3580]t3nth0mbs[/user] wrote:

I have to see of there's an obstruction down near the impeller. How do I get all the way down?

This diagram might help.

Do I just bail the water out of the tub...

Yep. :bananadance:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics