Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE refrigerator with faulty water and ice dispensing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thetone

thetone

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:10 PM

:(
I have a GE TFF24RC side by side refrigerator with dual ice and water dispenser on the door. The water dispenser doesn't dispense at all (I think it makes a sound, but I'm not sure), and the icemaker makes thin hollow cup-shaped cubes. I suspect the water inlet valve and plan to test it by disconnecting the plastic coupler from the water line to the door water line, then activating the water dispenser to see if it flows at that point. I guess it could be a clogged water line further back also. Is this a good plan? Another question is, did this model come with a built-in water filter? I've never changed it in 15 years if there is one, so that could be the trouble. Suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

They didn't have filters 15 years ago. replacing your 15 year old water valve is a good idea. If this Whirlpool 4318046 looks like your valve and is cheaper than the GE part you can use it.

#3 thetone

thetone

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

:)
Follow up: Disconnected the water line coupler from main line to door. Pushing water dispenser switch produced a faint sound but no water...except on the floor behind the refrigerator. Pulled refrigerator out from its hard-to-access cubicle and found the 5/16" plastic line broken in two a few inches from the inlet valve. The 1/4" icemaker line had a spiral fracture at the connection to the valve. Fixed the water line with a coupler. Cut the end off the icemaker line and re-attached it to the valve. Voila! Water and solid ice cubes. As I pushed the refrigerator back, I wondered how long before I would have to entirely replace both lines. Oh well. As Scarlett said, "...tomorrow is another day."

#4 thetone

thetone

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 03:43 PM

:)
And the answer to that ominous question was...one day. Pulling the frig out again showed that the water line had broken...again. As I took the lower panel off, the reason became clear - the line passed close to the condensation line of the compressor which got quite hot. Over the years the plastic line got baked and became brittle. The fix was to wrap extra insulation around the condensation line, replace and insulate the water line in the affected area, and insulate the icemaker line. I also found something quite unexpected: the copper water line to the inlet valve had multiple pinhole corrosion areas which leaked - I could watch drops form on the copper line! Replaced the copper line as well. Now everything works as it should and hopefully that will be the end of it.

#5 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

Good Job. :)
Yes that is a problem with plastic lines. The only thing I would NOT do is to insulated any of the condensor as your unit may not cool as well. This is where the heat that was removed from inside the freezer is blown off so the refrigerant can be able to absorb more heat when as it pumps back into the freezer section again.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#6 thetone

thetone

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. It already had a woven fiberglass (?) sleeve around the line. I can take it back to that and leave the water lines insulated. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics