LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

FINDING CAPACITOR MFD RATING

Bobice

:) Using a good multimeter you can determine a capacitors Micro Farad (mfd) rating

mfd = 2650 x amps / volts

amps = start winding amps of compressor or motor 

volts = volts measured across the capacitor terminals.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COOL formula , but mostly useless in the real world. :shock:

When do you really need to know the capacitance value of a capacitor? Yes that's right , when it has failed. But when it has failed the formula is useless....:P

I was excited years ago and tried the formula when I first came across it. But have not used it since, as a failed cap cannot reveal its capacitance rating via a formula.

There are digital meters that have that capability.

However I think it is a good idea to learn  "Ole School" as I believe that knowledge is a Beautiful Thing. JMO :)

[user=57399]ACtechGUY[/user] wrote:

COOL formula , but mostly useless in the real world. :shock:

When do you really need to know the capacitance value of a capacitor? Yes that's right , when it has failed. But when it has failed the formula is useless....:P

I was excited years ago and tried the formula when I first came across it. But have not used it since, as a failed cap cannot reveal its capacitance rating via a formula.

Is it really ? Are most formulas usless ? I think not Do you know how many "Technicians" I have interviewed that know how to just keep replacing parts without knowing why ? The numbers are staggering.

Prime example of this is a company who shall remain nameless doing warranty work

having to send back technicians six times before getting to the real problem.

Not always. Many times the rating has worn off.

I cannot count the times wiring diagrams were missing.

The formula is two fold.

1. An exercise in using a test meter

2. Diagnosing

OK guys, Maybe you misunderstood what I was a typing.

(sorry for the delay, I had not internet for the last 4 days, darn AT&T and the holiday)

When I said the formula was useless , I was referring to the rash of failed(open, exploded, shorted) RUN capacitors that have been showing up for the last 5 to 10 years.

I do have a $300 FLUKE meter VERY capable of reading capacitance, IT however DOES NOT READ A DEAD CAPACITOR!!! Nor does any Multimeter.

In condensing units, water vapor manages to get in and rust the outside of some capacitors, rendering the value printed on them unreadable(it happens,). A/C manufacturers NEVER list the rating of compressor caps anywhere one the unit( I speak of Lennox, Carrier, Trane and their sub brands.)

If you have a cap that is dead and rusted beyond reading you HAVE TO go to the manufacturer to determine the cap that goes into that unit.

I don't know where you guys get your capacitors , but you really need to send us some down here. Because when ours fail (and it happens every, day) they can't tell us their values , regardless of how much we threaten them with a formula that can't possible work on a capacitor that is so dead it won't start a motor.

:soapbox:

Thank you , I now step off the retaliation box.

Feel free to throw some more rocks at me :shock:

No rocks intended, but guess what ? A dead compressor is dead yet we check it with a good meter do we not.

I am just trying to get "Apprentices" as well as others use to Troubleshooting.

Makes them more valuable. :)

:soapbox:   That formula is useful to check the cap under load. That is the real truth about whether a cap is good or not.  It may check good with the cap meter, but be out of specs under load.

Bobice is right on, our new generation of techs need some real world trouble shooting skills. We need to instruct them on how to recognise and repair,not condemn and replace. JMHO:shock:

...................AmTec

[user=66622]AmTec Services[/user] wrote:

:soapbox:   That formula is useful to check the cap under load. That is the real truth about whether a cap is good or not.  It may check good with the cap meter, but be out of specs under load.

Bobice is right on, our new generation of techs need some real world trouble shooting skills. We need to instruct them on how to recognise and repair,not condemn and replace. JMHO:shock:

...................AmTec

Amen.

If a cap is rusted beyond reading and failed, I call the manufacturer and find what it needs to be.

[user=70229]JJDH[/user] wrote:

[user=43030]Bobice[/user] wrote:
At 9:00 PM at night ?

We have resources when needed.

The multimeter is one of the best resource. :D

Archived