Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid Touchpanel Hell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonathanF

JonathanF

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:03 PM

About ten years ago, the previous owner of our home installed a KitchenAid Model KDDT207BWH6 Dual Fuel Slide-In Range. It is normally fine, but about once a month the Bake button on the touch panel will not respond to touching, prayers, cursing or any other entreaties to work. No pushing of other buttons seems to help. Of course, this generally occurs when my wife is alone. When I come home and touch it, it magically works.

She says it often will permit itself to be set to bake after pressing other buttons and pressing all around the "Bake" button. About once a month, nothing seems to help.

My only thoughts are the panel is defective, some other part of the control system is flaky, or it is a grounding/static problem.

Do we:

A. Have her work out of the house and I stay home and coddle the range? (not feasible)
B. Try to replace/repair the touch panel?
C. Get a whole new range, thereby not spending good money on a range on its last legs or something?

Thanks for any help on diagnosing the issue.

- JonathanF

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,695 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:33 AM

The membrane switch in the touch panel is wearing out. Right now, just bake is affected. The problem will eventually get worse and affect other functions. I recommend living with it as long as you can because the replacement touchpanels are rather pricey.

#3 JonathanF

JonathanF

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:08 AM

I have to ask, given the age of the range and the cost of the part, does it make sense to replace the panel when it dies, or spring for a new range? If we get a new panel, are we probably still looking at getting a new range (or panel) within 3-5 years? Thanks for any tips.

- JonathanF

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,695 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:25 PM

Price out the cost for a new, stainless steel, double oven, add in the cost of installation (non-trivial). I think once you do that, you'll understand how Kitchenaid can get away with charging what they are for the control panel.

For new appliances today, figure on doing some type of repair every two to four years. The only thing that varies among the brands and models is the cost and difficulty of the repairs you'll be doing.

Recommended reading:

How much is a new one?

How long should appliances last?

I have a number of customers who've reported outstanding success accumulating the cash needed for expensive parts by using the Mega-Money Management System. Might be worth a shot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics