Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replacement Advice for Whirlpool DU8770XB-0 Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 az_repair_gal

az_repair_gal

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Corona

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

I've had this under counter dishwasher since ~'92, and this is the first problem I've had with it.  It does not fill with water - either a bad inlet valve or float, based on the research I've done on this site.  You guys know me - I'd much rather fix than replace.  However, my teen daughter's bedroom is behind the kitchen - her study desk is on the other side of the wall, opposite the dishwasher - and it is VERY LOUD.  I can hear it running 2 rooms over - you can imagine what it is like in her room!  We can't run it at night when she is sleeping, we can't run it when she is studying... So I promised her last year that if we ever had a problem with it, I would replace it with the quietest model I could find.

I checked Consumer Reports, but interestingly the models they recommend got mediocre to lousy user ratings.  Reviews on home warehouse websites are not very illuminating, either.  When a new dishwasher leaks, is that a problem with the dishwasher, or the install?  My guess is the install. 

So I thought the best idea would be to ask the pros.  I need QUIET, would prefer efficient, and of course I need it to clean.  (I don't think that I should have to scrub my plates before putting them in a dishwasher!  What's the point of that?? )  Having had great luck with Whirlpool, I am leaning toward a Whirlpool model but am not sure how quiet they are compared to some of the others.  I am also used to the layout of the Whirlpool racks, and actually like the silverware rack in the door.  However, I have a hodgepodge of appliances in the kitchen - GE oven and microwave, Kitchen Aid side by side, and Whirlpool cooktop - so I am not completely wedded to the brand.  The only requirement is that it fit in the opening occupied by the DU8770 and that it has a stainless front.  The DU8770 also has a latch rather than a handle which I consider a plus, but if the best model has a handle I guess I will deal with it poking me in the hip until I get used to it being there.

Reg US and Appl Tech, I am particularly interested in your opinions.  Would like some specific model numbers to check out, if you have them handy.  Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

As Far as noise level I don't think you can get any quieter than a Bosch, but I don't service them so I can't comment on their reliability.

There's also the factor of your budget or what your expecting to spend on a new dishwasher.

What type of flooring is the unit sitting on, wood , tile ?

Do you have any excess room between the back of the dishwasher and the wall?

You may be able to add some sound deadning material to the floor and rear wall that would greatly cut down on the sound.

If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics