Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Triton XL tripped breaker

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 elevatorman

elevatorman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:48 AM

I have a GE Triton XL model #GSD6600G00BB that kicked the 20amp panel breaker sometime during the cycle. I reset the breaker and the dishwasher came on but it just seemed to be trying to drain. The motor never would come on. I removed power and ohmed out switchs and coils/solenoids. I found the float sw. micro got smoked- the arm and the insides of the sw. were burned. I suspected water got on the sw. and it shorted to ground thus kicking the breaker (I think that because I couldn't find any seal on the float itself). So I replaced the micro which is using the N.O. contact??? and now I get the motor to run but I'm not getting any water. I'm not getting any voltage to the water intlet coil/solenoid. It reads about 1130 ohms disconnected (seems high to me for AC). I removed the front panel (didn't find the tech sheet) and found relays soldered onto the pcb. Help please? How can I work my way back?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:10 AM

Float switch is NC.  Opens when full, stopping the voltage to the fill valve.

#3 elevatorman

elevatorman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:19 AM

That's what I would of thought, the harness/plug connector only can go on the micro one way. The micro has three pins and the connector has 3 holes and 2 wires. The wires line up on the N.O. contact. I made sure and doublechecked that. I guess I need to check it again.

#4 elevatorman

elevatorman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:27 AM

I just double checked, the pins on the micro are offset so the connector goes on one way. The bracket that holds the micro has a notch for the connector to snap on, it can only go one way also. Can anyone help out with some prints??

I also disconnected the float sw. and put a jumper across the 2 wires on the plug connector~ to check if N.C. would put voltage on water intlet and it tripped the breaker again. I'm wondering now if I should just change the water inlet assy to see if that coil/solenoid is the culprit for smoking the float sw. and tripping the breaker.

#5 elevatorman

elevatorman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

Jedi Appliance Guy
Master Appliantologist

Posted: Sat Apr 23rd, 2005 13:10
Float switch is NC. Opens when full, stopping the voltage to the fill valve.

Thanks for your response earlier Jedi. I know it seems weird but the float sw. on this dishwasher appears to me to be N.O.

#6 elevatorman

elevatorman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

Oh please Mr. Samurai..... Can you chime in??

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:03 PM

[user=351]elevatorman[/user] wrote: I also disconnected the float sw. and put a jumper across the 2 wires on the plug connector~ to check if N.C. would put voltage on water intlet and it tripped the breaker again. I'm wondering now if I should just change the water inlet assy to see if that coil/solenoid is the culprit for smoking the float sw. and tripping the breaker.

Sounds to me like your fill solenoid may be shorted.  Why not do the same thing again only this time disconnect the two wires going to the fill solenoid.

Or you could ohm it out if you have a meter.

The older I get the harder it gets to tell the difference between those little NO and NC markings on those little switches

Of course wait for the Samurai's blessing before attempting this.

#8 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:08 PM

Hello, my chiming friend.  Although I am not the blessed and all-glorious Samurai, I pray that you would tolerate the ramblings of an old man who wets himself only a little.

It seems to me that the answers to your questions regarding the float switch are right there at your dishwasher.  The wiring diagram is located underneath the dishwasher, look all around, especially on the right hand side on the bottom of the tub.  Use a flashlight or oil-burning lantern for illumination.

Allahu Akbar!

#9 elevatorman

elevatorman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. The fill solenoid reads 1130 ohms and I do understand if it's damaged, it could short/fail when voltage is applied. I'll try disconnecting the wires Jedi.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:16 PM

Were you able to locate the wiring diagram?

#11 elevatorman

elevatorman

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Samurai but not yet, I'll look in the AM.

#12 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:45 AM

[user=2]Jedi Appliance Guy[/user] wrote:

Float switch is NC. Opens when full, stopping the voltage to the fill valve.

No Jedi, Float switch is N.O. but weight of float resting on switch arm closes the N.O. switch so water can fill. When water gets to high and raises float off switch arm switch goes into N.O. state and stops water, (I know you know this, we all get a little confussed as we get older).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics