Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
jkramer

Can't reattach Kitchenaid Dishwasher KUDP01FLSS2 drain pump

15 posts in this topic

I've just replaced the motor/pump assembly, but I can't get the drain pump back on correctly.  I can't get it to sit right and when I turn it to engage the tab/slots that hold it in place, I can never to seem to get more than 2 of the 3 hooked in.  Of course, it leaks like a sieve when you put it together like this.  Am I doing something wrong?  Could I have the o-ring in the wrong place or is their some trick I don't know?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

must just have it wrong directionally? do you have the dishwasher pulled out or are you trying to do it blind?

O=ring Placement

Properly assembled

IMG_3185b.jpg

00083540.jpg

I'm doing it pretty much blind.  I'm pretty sure the direction is right.  I pulled it out and put it on the old motor/pump assembly that I had taken out to make sure I was doing it right.  I can get it on that one, but it takes some strength.  When I try to install it on the new one, I can turn it in to the point where the clip locks in, but one of the tabs is always outside of the slot. It just doesn't seem to want to get seated right. 

As much as you don't wanna do it, it ls best to pull the unit out and install it. Those plastic tabs can bend and break if you get to crazy with it.

Pump top should be tilted toward you when you set the pump in position, before you turn it in. You'll be turning the pump up (CW if looking into the hole) when you lock the pump into place.

[user=71113]jkramer[/user] wrote:

Could I have the o-ring in the wrong place or is their some trick I don't know?

The O-ring often twists and binds when you try to turn the pump to lock the tabs. If it becomes stretched and won't fit back into it's groove (see photo posted above), you may need to replace the drain pump, I don't think the O-ring is available separately. Try Lubricating the O-ring and the pump opening with a drop of liquid soap before attempting to twist the drain pump into place.

I got a new o-ring from Ace and used a little dishsoap.  That did the trick.  Now I have one more small problem.  I have 2 plastic shields with no home. There's a big one on the main motor.  Can any one tell me where the two smaller ones go?

Upload some pics to a photo hosting service and post the links here so we can get some eyeball action on 'em.

One covers the pressure switch, the other covers the drain pump.

Thanks.  I know where the drain pump is.  Where's the pressure switch?  And can I just slide the shields into place?

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

I think he meant motor and pump. See the photo on this page, mouse over it for the annotations...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenzoidman/144627065/

OK, they call the pressure switch (parts diagram) the "turbidity sensor" on the above photo, and you can see the cover...

I see where it all goes.  Thanks for the visual.  Is it okay to just slide the shields into place?  I don't want to have to take everything apart to get these things back in if I don't have to.

As long as you can get them to stay where they are suppose to go you will be fine, they are just to divert the water if it leaks.

Probably not all that important, seeing how Whirlpool has left the shields off of more recent models...