Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer 110.76842500

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shmonkey

shmonkey

Ikkō-ikki

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

I'm starting to do all the requisite continuity checks on the heat sensor (good), and the thermal fuses (on back, haven't checked yet).  While the front of the dryer is open I wanted to do the voltage check going to the igniter, but my understandign is that I have to do this while the dryer is running (makes sense).  However with the front panel of this dryer off to access the gas valve and ignitor, etc. the drum is unsupported and I'm worried about running the dryer with the front off.

How do I test voltage on the ignitor for this unit.  OTher dryers I see online have a lower removable panel to access the gas valve and ignitor, but mine doesn't.

Shmonkey

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

Before you test the voltage, use the peep hole in the lower front panel to see if the ignitor is glowing. That's why it's there.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

[user=19817]shmonkey[/user] wrote:

.. and the thermal fuses (on back, haven't checked yet)....

why not ?

Kenmore Gas Dryer 110.76842500 Wiring Diagram

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 shmonkey

shmonkey

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the tip about the peep hole.  I completely overlooked the little plastic plug in the front of the dryer.

Status update:

I checked the following for continuity while the dryer was off and all good:

Flame sensor (good)

operating thermostat and thermal fuse (good)

hi limit thermostat and thermal cutoff (good)

Note: I made certain to remove one wire from each item tested before testing continuity.

I started the dryer and through the peep hole I witnessed a glow and then the burner ignited.   All good.  Here's the basic problem.  The dryer heats initially and runs for a few minutes and then cycles off, but then after the exhaust has cooled off ready to cycle back on I get no glow through the peep hole.  It's been running for about 10 minutes (heat was on for about 3 to 5 minutes and then off).  The last 5 minutes have been without an ignitor glow and of course without a flame.

Seems the ignitor is suspect, but I want to check voltage and I'm not sure how to do that safely (back to my original question).

Thanks for the help so far.

Shmonkey

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

Sounds like bad valve coils to me. They cycle normally the 1st time then heat up and quit working. Common problem. I'd start there.

#6 shmonkey

shmonkey

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Update again:  I decided to watch the peephole a while longer and what I now see happening is the ignitor starts to glow, stays lit for about 7 seconds, then dies out with no flame.  This cycle is repeating about every 45 seconds.  Watched 3 cycles happen this way.

So to summarize, my dryer lights initially and then after the flame is cycled off for the first time, it never relights but goes through the above sequence with the ignitor glowing (seems like not as bright as the initial time when the flame was lit) and then cycling off without a flame.

Bad ignitor?  Still haven't checked ignitor voltage yet per my ongoing connundrum of how to do so safely (maybe I can measure voltage remotely, but I'm not sure of the remote terminals to check.)

Shmonkey

#7 shmonkey

shmonkey

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

Sorry Samurai. We posted at the same time, so I didn't see your suggestion of bad valve coils.  Thanks.
Shmonkey

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

[user=19817]shmonkey[/user] wrote:

.. the ignitor starts to glow, stays lit for about 7 seconds, then dies out with no flame.  This cycle is repeating about every 45 seconds...

yes, Gas Valve Coils

they get sluggish when warm

click on picture
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics