Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Check out our online tech training courses at Master Samurai Tech…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Jackpine

Kenmore Elite HE3 dryer mod # 110.82822102 overheats

7 posts in this topic

Started out with clothes having a bad smell and top of dryer getting hot.  Started looking and saw, from around the exhaust duct, the inside was red/orange hot. 

Took it apart and cleaned out the exhaust duct from the lint screen to the outlet.  Still running hot.

Ordered a thermostat from Sears and changed it out tonight.  The thermostat that I changed is on the "housing" above the exhaust duct.  Still running hot.

Did some searching here and found a post about turning on the timed dry, opening the door and seeing if the element heats up.  The post wasn't for my dryer but I figured I'd try it.  It didn't get hot but again, not sure if it applied to my dryer.  Now what? 

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Completely remove the vent from the back of the dryer and run it again to see if the heating changes.

My bad, Samurai. I had the vent off the whole time.

Does it heat in the "air only" mode (no heat)?

Yes it does appl.tech.29501. Orange glow again instantly.

Unplug the dryer, remove the front bottom quarter panel and remove one of the power wires to the heating element. Now use your meter to measure continuity from one of the heating element terminals to the heating element casing. If you get a reading, you have a grounded heating element.

I hate to ask, but is the heating element the first item on the case? When I changed the thermostat, it was in the middle of components to the front and rear of it. Does that make sense?