Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air oven problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sheri

Sheri

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:40 AM

I have a Jenn-Air Dual Fuel range with convection oven.

Yesterday, I set it to clean for two hours.  After about 1 1/2 hours, it started beeping a F5 code.  I hit cancel and about two minutes later, it beeped either a F2 or F3 (I thought I would remember), so I hit cancel again.  It cooled off and unlocked.  I wiped it out and turned on the oven a few times to make sure everything was working and preheating correctly.  All appeared to be fine.

A few hours later, I turned on a stove burner to start making dinner and I heard the cooling fan that runs during the clean cycle come on and the oven door started locking and unlocking.  Hitting cancel did nothing.  I finished dinner with that fan going, then turned the breaker to the range off and then back on.  It appeared to be fine for the rest of the evening.

When I woke up this morning, the fan was running again.  Cancel did nothing.  I had not made it to the breaker yet when F2 started coming on; I would hit cancel, which shut it off, but in about 10 seconds, it would beep again over and over.  While the fan is running, I tried touching oven control buttons, such as bake, and there is no response at all, but the fan, oven light, etc., buttons do.

I have shut off the breaker right now to shut it up.  I am not sure where to start looking for the problem.  My husband is very good with fixing things and has ohm meters and all that stuff, so if I can get some direction in where to start investigating to see exactly what to do and/or what parts I need, I would appreciate it very much.  All I have for paperwork is the use and care manual and a wiring diagram.

I should also add he doesn't like my Jenn-Air very much.. It was my one big "splurge" when we remodeled the kitchen and I just HAD to have it, and it has been problem after problem and of course, the warranty is over :(

Sheri

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Sheri

Sheri

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:46 AM

I guess I was so busy trying to explain the problem, I forgot the most important info..  My Model Number is SVD48600B

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:32 AM

This is usually a bad sensor. You can verify by ohming out the sensor, this page explains.

Here's the part you need, CLICK HERE.

Easy job, two mugs on the world-famous SUDs-o-meter.

#4 Sheri

Sheri

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:08 AM

Would I get to the sensor by taking off the front panel/ERC board?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:06 AM

On most ranges, the two-wire connector from the sensor connects to the ERC. But not on yours. It connects to the power relay board mounted on the very back of the range, it's the green connector, J10 (diagram).

#6 Sheri

Sheri

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

Okay..  We have taken the back off and ohm tested the sensor.  It read 24, so it appears we need to replace that.  I do have another question though.  With the sensor unplugged, if we turn the power back on, there is no error code, but the cooling fan still runs.  Is this still pointing to the same problem or could something else be going on as well?

Sheri

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

[user=3645]Sheri[/user] wrote:

Is this still pointing to the same problem or could something else be going on as well?

Samurai's 8th Law of Appliance Repair illumines us in this time of travail, "Fix the obvious problems first."

Assuming you've made the measurement correctly, replace the sensor. However, I would refer you to Samurai's 3rd Law of Appliance Repair, "Measure twice, order once."

#8 emarshbuck

emarshbuck

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:23 AM

Grasshopper,

I purchased the sensor that you recommended, installed it, and still the cooling fan runs constantly, even when the oven is off.

I have disconnected the black wire from the main PCB board to the relay board, just to stop the fan.

Suggestions?

thank you,

ed marshall

copley, oh:(

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:25 AM

Closing this old unsecured thread, please start a new topic...thanks...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics