Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire side by side not defrosting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rosehillworks

rosehillworks

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 01:28 PM

My Frigidaire was made in 1997. The freezer is not defrosting which causes the refrigerator to get warm. The coils are frosting up and I was wondering if anyone has an educated guess about which parts to replace. Any help will be greatly appreciated A.S.A.P. I have 4 kids and am having to manually defrost every 2-3 days. Thanks, Helen

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 yambag

yambag

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:42 PM

Do you have a Model# for the unit?

#3 rosehillworks

rosehillworks

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

Model number is FRS26ZGEB3. Sorry. Thanks, Helen

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:20 PM

Hello again, Helen :)

The problem will be one of three components: The defrost heater, the defrost thermostat, or the defrost timer.

An easy test it to advance the defrost timer (item 23) to defrost by turning its control knob to the big click. Then, remove the back, inside wall of the freezer (diagram) and check to see if the defrost heater is getting hot. If it is, replace the timer (it was stuck in run mode). If not, replace both the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater (items 21 and 14).

Use the parts links included in my first paragraph.

#5 rosehillworks

rosehillworks

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:30 PM

Hello again,:)
Thank you very much I will have my husband check those parts. Thanks, Helen

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 September 2005 - 04:43 PM

I need to modify what I said a little bit. I just looked again at the parts and noticed that your defrost heater is the calrod type. These almost never go bad. Not that they don't, just not very frequently. Defrost thermostats, on the other hand, are always going bad.

So, if the heater doesn't fire after you turn the timer to the big click, then replace the defrost thermostat for sure because these are common troublemakers and can also get erratic. But before you replace the heater, ohm it out to see if it's bad or not. If it has continuity, don't replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics