Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

How to calculate costs verses savings?

nickfixit

I'm currently using a 80 gal electric hot water heater. I can't get natural gas, but my furnace is running propane. With 6 people in the house, I'm thinking the water heater is a big component of the electric bill. I've got teenagers in the house, and we do alot of laundry in our standard direct drive washer. 

If I get the cost of electricity, in $ per KW?, how would I approach the task of figuring if buying a hybrid water heater, or going to a tank-less heater is worthwhile?

I also wonder if going to a front load washer would pay off. I've got a propane dryer with a short all metal vent, so my drying is efficient.

Just thinking about making some changes.

Nick

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you knew the cost/Kwh

and the cost of Propane per pound

you should be able to figure if one is cheaper than the other

• Team Samurai

Knowing the $/Kw-hr you pay for electricity, you can use this page to figure out what that water heater is running you each month...

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2010/07/05/estimating-home-appliance-energy-use/

Then you'd get the cost info on propane and the estimated propane usage of the water heater (should be available from the manufacturer or even generic ratings online) and calculate its estimated cost per month. Compare and let the numbers tell the story.

my AO Smith water heating training guide has all those comparisons on it... i can send you them if you like... it says stuff like how to calculate efficiency and has like 4 pages of calculations you can make.

Sure, I'd like any info you can pass on. Your last post didn't have any link, was it supposed to?

I see you got the new style uniforms. Are you on the drip routing and the pro tool programs too? Would you like to take a survey.....

Archived