Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Gibson Fridge Trips Breaker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scooter

scooter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

Have Gibson refrigerator (RT17F7DP38).  After being moved about 20 miles, the unit was plugged in and would trip GFIC breaker when defrost cycle was reached.  Manually cycled the defrost timer about 10 times, which tripped the GFIC each time.

After cycling it 10 times, I set the defrost timer to a position just past the defrost cycle.  The unit ran for about an hour and was cool.  I manually cycled the defrost timer and the unit did not trip the breaker when the defrost cycle was reached.

Anyone have an idea as to why it was tripping the breaker and now is not?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:07 PM

Weak GFIC breaker. Try an extension cord to another circuit and test.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#3 scooter

scooter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

I will give that a try, but this same circuit was just recently used to power a 15 Amp miter saw (which has a very hard start) with no issues.

Just curious as to why it tripped sometimes and not others when the timer hit the defrost cycle.

Thanks.

#4 scooter

scooter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:37 PM

[user=950]GLC[/user] wrote:

Weak GFCI breaker. Try an extension cord to another circuit and test.

I just installed a new 20A GFCI. Frige trips the new GFCI. Test a non-GFCI circuit and it fridge did not trip it.

What is causing the frige to trip the GFCI?

#5 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

I have had the exact same thing happen to me before.  I have no idea what the amp draw is going on with the frig but if you have access to amp meter you may want to check amps in run and then in defrost.  In defrost amps usually run somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5 or so.  And that is where you are saying it is tripping?  Only in defrost?  If I were there that is what I would look at first.  How many amps in the defrost cycle.  The one that I went on was a week breaker.  Other than that maybe some one else here can point you in another direction.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:11 AM

Remember guys, what is the GFIC -- (Ground Fault Interupter Circuit). It not the amps that is tripping the GFIC, it's the ground fault.

Here's how you can verify this: Get one of those handy adapters that convert a 3prong grouded plug to a two prong plug, (Make sure the adapter that you use has the little ground lug that sticks out the side that can be screwed to the center socket screw.

Now, plug your power cord with the adapter on it into the GFIC plug, DO NOT hook up the ground lug. Now if you put the frig into defrost I can garantee you that it won't trip the GFIC or the circuit breaker in the fuse box.

Now to actually verify, you will need to use your meter and check for AC voltage from the ground lug adapter of the 3-prong plug adapter to the ground hole of the GFIC. I can almost assure you that you are going to be seeing a reading of a couple of volts. This leaking voltage to ground is tripping the GFIC -- It's a ground fault.

Now, go find where the leakage is occuring ----- GOOD LUCK.....
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:03 AM

It is my understanding Refrigerators are not to be run on these anyway, best to plug into a regular outlet.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 scooter

scooter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:09 AM

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

It is my understanding Refrigerators are not to be run on these anyway, best to plug into a regular outlet.

I read this on a few sites after a quick google.  Also, when I plugged the frige into a non-GCIC outlet, it never tripped a circuit breaker in the fuse box.

If there is no voltage on the ground, I will probably convert the outlet to a standard outlet or run a dedicated circuit.

Thanks to all that have helped out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics