Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool DU1101XTPQA - runs but not cleaning dishes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RandallFarr

RandallFarr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Model:    DU1101XTPQA
s/n:    FW1006440
I have a Whirlpool DU1101XTPQA that has stopped cleaning the dishes. I just bought the house 5 months ago; I called the Whirlpool assistance number and one of the things they asked me to verify was that I bought the DW in 2008... "sure" I said. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the DW is two years old.

I opened the DW one day last week and found that a half dozen bowls that had ice cream in them now had black moldy spots in them. The spots come off very easily with a gentle rub with my finger tip. I tried repositioning some dishes and running again. I even pulled half the dishes out to make sure it wasn't overloaded- same result. The dirt is not getting removed.

Making good use of this site, I spent a couple evenings scouring every post, article, and schematic I could get my hands on that was even remotely related to my problem and my DW model. What a great amount of insight I gained!

I ran the DW with the door cracked open a little bit (using some towels to catch some of the spray). I could see that there was some movement in all of the sprayer arms. I removed the drawers, sprayer arms, accumulator assembly, and the cover over the macerator. I did find that the screen in the macerator and the screen in the accumulator assembly had some fine paper material in them, covering about 5-10% of the surface area. I cleaned them using a toothbrush, which worked pretty well. I recall someone running a peanut butter jar through the DW a couple weeks ago with a bit of the label left on- we won't be doing that again. I also brushed out some paper that was on the separation screen behind the impeller.

I ran the same load again. Same deal. I waited a day and took another stab at it. This time I decided to pull the pump motor assembly to check the impeller for damage. Thanks to this video http://www.youtube.c...h?v=EiLlLZNBxJ8 I was able to see exactly how to pull it out. Thank goodness you don't have to pull the DW out from under the counter; the previous owners had just installed a new hardwood floor over the original kitchen floor which now prevents removal of the DW.

I removed the pump motor from the assembly. The screen around the impeller didn't have any thing on it. The impeller didn't show any signs of wear or defect. The motor turns without an extraordinary amount of resistance, the bearings aren't noisy. I reassembled it again and ran the load. I've run the same dirty dishes through (no-heat dry cycle) about 6 times now and they're still not getting clean. I pulled the sprayer arm assembly out and ran it with the door open. I can watch the water being sprayed out of the pump straight up to about the roof of the DW. I've opened the door in mid-cycle and observed the sprayer arms turning, though it seems without much speed. From the time I open the door, the upper arm only turns less than 1/8 of a rotation before coming to rest.

Does anyone have any suggestions for more tests to run? My current theory is that the pump motor is somehow just not putting enough pressure behind the water, though I'm not sure how to test that.

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:39 AM

s/n FW1006440 =

Estimated Date of Purchase   4/29/2008

Manufactured During the Week of  3/4/2008

is the water hot ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 RandallFarr

RandallFarr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

The water coming out of the tap is 120˚F. I put a glass in the top rack with a thermometer in it and have taken periodic readings. It started around 90˚F and stabilized at 115˚F. This is with the "Hi-temp wash" option enabled. The water level is just below the heating element, for what that's worth.

Could the temperature be the root of my troubles?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

[user=71626]RandallFarr[/user] wrote:

Could the temperature be the root of my troubles?

looks OK

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 RandallFarr

RandallFarr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

Update: I'm about 60 minutes into the cycle and the water temp is now up to 135˚F

#6 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:00 AM

When you ran the machine with the glass upright on the upper rack did the glass get filled?
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#7 RandallFarr

RandallFarr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:01 AM

yes, the glass in the top rack filled with water.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

Been getting lots of washability complaints in the dishwashers since they took the phosphates out of the detergents. Read this post and the two other posts linked to in it==> http://fixitnow.com/...ssible-results/

The check valve in the mascerator area can also cause washability problems. Wondering if maybe the black stuff you saw was from a deteriorated check valve. More==> http://fixitnow.com/...-poor-cleaning/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics