Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Washer GHW9100LW2 Very Noisy During Spin Cycle

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Trebacz

Trebacz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

Trying to understand what parts need to be replaced on the washer here's a video of it during the spin cycle.

It was fine up until about the past year it's been getting louder and louder. It sounds a bit like a jet engine. No clanking or banging. We have checked level -it's level. It's on a ceramic tile floor -elevated pedestal.

Based on what I'm reading it could be springs, shocks, weights, or bearings. Samurai guidance appreciated. Rumor has it the parts may be under warranty if it's the bearing -it's 6 years old. SR# CSR1814911.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Tsuriman

Tsuriman

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

WOW is this really the first post in the laundry forum?

Same problem.
It sounds a lot like bearings to me. A disconcerting metal to metal whirr. No clanking, no scrapping or scratching. Really sounds like something to grease, bearing replaced?

Sorry to jump thread. I have the Whirlpool Duet as well. I haven't searched but seeing as this was the first post when I logged on tonight... I had to jump in. Mine is only ONE year old.

#3 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:39 PM

well for both of you... there are different noises from the spin cycle.

some of these noises are:
Bearing noise.
Shocks.
Pump.
Cabinet Noise.

for example, this video is cabinet noise. i know this sound very well, its the press welds between the bottom panel and side panels.

to the person who posted the video for me, yes that sounds like bearings. some have a 10 year warranty on them.

from your manual:
http://shared.whirlp...e - 8182199.pdf

SECOND THROUGH TENTH YEAR LI MITED WARRANTY ON OUTER TUB
In the second through tenth years from the date of purchase, when this washer is operated and maintained according to instructions
attached to or furnished with the product, Whirlpool Corporation will pay for FSP® replacement parts for the outer tub should it crack or
fail to contain water, if defective in materials or workmanship.
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY ON STAINLESS STEEL WASH DRUM
For the lifetime of the washer, when this washer is operated and maintained according to instructions attached to or furnished with the
product, Whirlpool Corporation will pay for FSP® replacement parts for the Stainless Steel wash drum if defective in materials or
workmanship.
It is never a bad thing to leave it to the professionals. Inexperience can lead to more damage or risk of injury. You can always call A&E Factory Service (1-800-905-9505), Sears(1-800-469-4663), or local service man you can trust (servicemagic.com).

#4 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

you can call us:
A&E Factory Service
1-800-905-9505
we are nation wide and Whirlpool's primary service provider for in and out of warranty appliances. we only charge $129.00 flat rate in most areas. Some areas its 135 or 120 flat.

and yes, even for a 1-2 hour job and 2 trips... its the same cost.

we have to go out. order the basket and outer tub in warranty. come back spend 1-2 hours putting it in.. and only leave with 129.00...
It is never a bad thing to leave it to the professionals. Inexperience can lead to more damage or risk of injury. You can always call A&E Factory Service (1-800-905-9505), Sears(1-800-469-4663), or local service man you can trust (servicemagic.com).

#5 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

[user=46680]Tsuriman[/user] wrote:

WOW is this really the first post in the laundry forum?

Same problem.
It sounds a lot like bearings to me. A disconcerting metal to metal whirr. No clanking, no scrapping or scratching. Really sounds like something to grease, bearing replaced?

Sorry to jump thread. I have the Whirlpool Duet as well. I haven't searched but seeing as this was the first post when I logged on tonight... I had to jump in. Mine is only ONE year old.

if yours is only 1 year old, then more than likely you will not have your outer tub covered by warranty. check your manual. it will be the last page in the english section. if its not, then i would contact whirlpool customer care and flip out and get a parts and labor concession. Ask for A&E factory service and we will take care of it :)

#6 delawaredrew

delawaredrew

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

Quick check for bad bearings: Open door, grab spin basket lip, yank on it; up and down works best. If you can get your fingers on the white plastic outer tub lip try to determine if the metal spin basket is moving independently from the outer tub in any motion other than round and round. If so you're on the right track with rear bearings.

Tronics - we work for the same people, I'm jealous that they got you your new shirts.

#7 Tsuriman

Tsuriman

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

[user=22175]delawaredrew[/user] wrote:

Quick check for bad bearings... If so you're on the right track with rear bearings.

Thanks. I'll try that tonight.

#8 Trebacz

Trebacz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

[user=23009]Tronicsmasta[/user] wrote:

you can call us:
A&E Factory Service
1-800-905-9505
we are nation wide and Whirlpool's primary service provider for in and out of warranty appliances. we only charge $129.00 flat rate in most areas. Some areas its 135 or 120 flat.

and yes, even for a 1-2 hour job and 2 trips... its the same cost.

we have to go out. order the basket and outer tub in warranty. come back spend 1-2 hours putting it in.. and only leave with 129.00...

Thanks I'll try A&E. My appointment was set same day. Let you know how it works out. Appreciate the honest help -and options.

#9 Trebacz

Trebacz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

A and E did a great job for me. As promised the charge was $129. They first came out and inspected the washer. They then ordered the parts under warranty for my washer. It required three new parts (front plastic tub, back plastic tub, and inner stainless tub).

About 3 days later the parts arrived in three large boxes.

A few days later two technicians from A and E arrived. It took both of them about 1.5 hours to move the washer into the garage, replace the old parts, and put the washer back. They were very professional and helpful according to my wife.

I took pictures of the bad bearing (one bearing appeared to be okay) if anyone wants to replace this on their own. It seemed to be a pretty big job -and the three parts would have been very expensive if not under warranty.

http://picasaweb.goo...feat=directlink

Now I have my German Duet back and operating. Hopefully for at least another 6 years.

#10 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:23 PM

i have to ask cause i hear it often

is a tub job on a duet REALLY a 2 man job, if it doesn't have to be moved to a garage?

we have a tech that does the job himself

i know sears says a tub job on a friggy is 2 men, but i do them myself every time as long as its not a hardwood floor cause then the machine has to be moved

btw i do the friggy tub job myself and i'm 135 lbs soaking wet, i'm not a big guy

i'm glad to see someone take the time to post positive outcome on their repair, thank you for taking the time

most happy customers will not take the time to post positive responses
The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:57 PM

It's possible that one of the Sears techs was training the other tech.

The following brands are those that I've done a rear tub replacement:

1) Frigidaire 3.1 :

Labor intensive. Percentage-wise---I've done more of these than any other brand. Very unpleasant job. If I'm alone---Expletives Deleted are uttered frequently.

2) LG Washer:

Only two were done---and compared to any other brand---like a "walk in the park".

3) Samsung :

Similar to LG but *slightly* more work

4) Whirlpool Duet :

Second worst after the 3.1 tub Frigidaire.

5) GE Adora:

Not entirely an unpleasant task.
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#12 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

thanks for the input

i'm considering changing jobs from a small shop that does friggy/samsung to a global company that does all makes

so i need to know what i have to look forward to for the increased profit margin

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#13 Shootist

Shootist

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

I also called A&E service after reading this thread. While I may have been able to change the bearings myself is wasn't worth saving $129 to me. However, Things here are not going quite so well with my GHW9250.....First guy that came out wiggled the basket and agreed that the bearing was bad and that it was under warranty (within 10 years). He tells me that he'll have the free parts delivered to my house and will schedule 2 techs to come back to do the work. He tells me that a gasket is required for the job that isn't covered by the warranty and chrges me an extra $15 (over the original $129) occordingly. A few days later a big box and small package arrived on the front porch. Out of curiosity I look inside and the small package contains the gasket and the big box contains the new outer tub and.......the gasket that comes with it. So I'll be asking for a refund on that extra gasket needless to say. Two weeks later the 2 guys show up to fix the machine. Right away they discover the first guy forgot to order the needed stainless steel inner basket so they couldn't do anything. In addition, he tells my wife the outer tub isn't covered because he showed a manufacturing date of feb 2001 and he needed to charge me another $550. She got me on the phone and I tried to tell the guy that I looked the serial number up online and it was a 2003 model and that his info was incorrect. He then tells me he'd just put down that I declined the estimate and that I'd have to work it out with Whirlpool. You could tell he just wanted out the door. So I tell the wife to go ahead and pay it or else it could be much longer until repair and by now the machine is getting much louder on spin cycle and we didn't want to get stuck without a washer in a house with 3 school-age children. When I got home that evening I looked it up again and found very clearly that my serial number of CSP25xxxxx meant that my machine was made in Schorndorf, Germany the 25th week of 2003. So I call A & E wanting a credit over this mistake and they tell me the tech would do it when he comes back. I later tracked down the original purchase receipt from Sept 2003.
A few days later the main bearing finally craps out (a little over a week before our annual family vacation). All was well though, because the A&E guys were coming three days later to fix the machine. The same two guys show up as scheduled and start tearing the machine apart. About an hour or so later my wife calls me to say that they appeared to be having problems. A little later she calls me back and tells me that they were having trouble "getting the pully to fit" and that the parts department sent the wrong part. They were going to order the correct part (this time) and scheduled a return trip 2 days after we returned from vacation. Parts for the washer (both new and old) were left scattered about my utility room and carport. As this was 4 days before our 8 day vacation my wife had to schlep the accumulated laundry for 5 people to the coin laundry several day in a row and went through about $80+ in quarters so we'd have clothes to wear for 8 days out of state.
The vacation was fine and we returned with 5 suitcases full of dirty clothes. I got the call today that A&E was still coming tomorrow so I'm happy about that. I then started looking at this new plastic outer tub that was sent and realized very quickly that the part number (W10253866) on the new tub's box was the same as the old one. So one of two things happened.....either the tech is an idiot and ordered the same wrong part again or the tech is a jerk and was just making an excuse to postpone the repair for another day (and maybe a different crew).
So I guess we'll know tomorrow. I wish I could stay home from work tomorrow and see what happens but I have 2 condensers to install tomorrow and several service calls. It better be fixed tomorrow or I'm going to come unglued.
FYI....if you want a good read, google A&E factory service and read all the rave reviews from their happy customers. Better yet, call their 800 number and talk to an obviously Indian sounding guy that calls himself "Mark" or "Steve".
I don't know........but when I call an 800 number and get a call center overseas then that's a pretty good indication of just how cheap the company is and it gives me a bad first impression.

If I ran my HVAC service company like this I'd be out of business.

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:16 AM

I recall having similar issues with the tubs, the problem as there are 2 sizes of spider shaft/bearing races - if I recall the units with the heaters had the smaller shafts, so you may well have had the correct outer tub, but the basket had the larger shaft size - the key is to have 2 that will mate. Best bet is to check fit etc. PRIOR to disassembly of machine. Very important to use the correct model number when ordering parts GHW9250 is an incomplete number.
Let us know how it works out for you
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#15 Shootist

Shootist

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

I intentionally ommitted my full model and serial numbers hoping the bozos wouldn't be able to figure out who was complaining and screw up my life even more.
As expected it didn't go well. They arrived just before 8am in 2 seperate vans; the original guy and the lead tech from the second and third visit so I stuck around to see what happened. I had hoped that between the two of them they'd be able to find one ass with four hands. Again, as expected the new outer basket was the wrong part. They stayed out in the carport making calls for about 30 minutes before they came inside. The guy took me outside and showed me how the threaded screw from the new stainless basket did not protrude far enough through the outer tub for the lock nut to screw all the way on once the pully was installed. Tightened all the way only half of the lock nuts threads were on the threaded rod. He said this was because the new outer tub's bearings were flush instead of recessed like the old one. So now they're going to try to order the complete pre-assembled inner and outer tub assembly but their supervisor was going to have to look up the part number to order it. So another week without our washer. At least this evening I found a friend that had an extra washer from one of his rental properties that I'll be able to borrow tomorrow.
Funny, the guy loaning me the washer has had A&E out 5 times recently to try and fix his 5 month-old dishwasher. The fifth guy out who was more of an "expert" said that they scheduled about 1/2 his daily calls to fix the other guy's non-repairs.

Edited by Shootist, 28 February 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#16 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

so... it seems like it's not all A&E's fault ..
maybe Whirlpool parts warehouse / supplier / China ? / Mexico ?
Although you'd think you aren't the first one with this Washer model problem.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#17 Shootist

Shootist

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

I hear ya but you'd think with a 9 year old model they'd have any parts issues worked out. You can't blame the parts place; FSP is going to ship exactly what parts A&E orders. I think the stainless inner basket is the wrong part as it doesn't have a long enough center bolt to fit the new style outer tub. I guess if they can order the complete pre-assembled tub assembly then I'll end up with a better repair in the long run.

#18 Shootist

Shootist

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Update.....they were supposed to come back today, it was a "no show". No parts delivered, no calls, nothing.

#19 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

I hear ya but you'd think with a 9 year old model they'd have any parts issues worked out. You can't blame the parts place; FSP is going to ship exactly what parts A&E orders. I think the stainless inner basket is the wrong part as it doesn't have a long enough center bolt to fit the new style outer tub. I guess if they can order the complete pre-assembled tub assembly then I'll end up with a better repair in the long run.

We order the parts based on the part numbers supplied by whirlpool.. sometimes mistakes happen, however if we ordered a part and it doesn't fit, its usually because someone put the wrong part in the box. It happens... Sorry you had so much trouble, try calling the phone number on the card the tech gave you.. its not the 800-905-9505 number. and by the way, if you get an indian person when you call, its not because we are cheap its because our call center has reached its maximum capacity.. so the calls overflow to our after hours call center. its either that, or wait 20-30 minutes for a rep but that "unacceptable" hold times of course for most people.

Thank you for the follow-up but this is not a complaint forum.

#20 Raynormensk

Raynormensk

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

This also is not an advertising forum for A&E.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics