Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

havintrouble

DRYER TIMER RUNS BACKWARDS

62 posts in this topic

HELLO, I AM PRETTY HANDY AND I AM STUMPED AS WELL AS 14 OTHER "APPLIANCE REPAIR PROFESSIONALS". THIS IS MAY LAST HOPE! I HAVE A KENMORE DRYER 110.84722401. IT IS ONLY 2.5 YEARS OLD. THE PROBLEM IS THE TIMER MOVES BACKWARDS ON AUTO AND TIMED CYCLES! THIS MODEL IS VERY SIMPLE WITH NOT MANY PARTS. LIKE A DUMMY, I REPLACED THE TIMER AND OF COURSE IT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM! I SHOULD HAVE TESTED IT FIRST, I KNOW, I KNOW! I CHECKED THE CYCLING THERMOSTAT WITH AN OHM METER AND HEAT AND IT IS CYCLING JUST FINE. I SUSPECT IT IS THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL BOARD, BUT EVERYONE I HAVE SPOKEN TO STATES THAT THE BOARD IS ONLY FOR THE AUTO DRY SETTING. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO TEST ON THE BOARD. VISUALLY THERE ARE NO BURNT PARTS AND IT LOOKS FINE! PLEASE HELP!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Is this dryer electric or gas. This type of problem would generally be related to an electrical issue rather than the dryer.

IT IS ELECTRIC. IT IS NOT AN ELECTRICAL ISSUE! THAT WAS ONE OF THE FIRST THIS CHECKED!

WE THOUGHT IT WAS ELECTRIC FIRST, SO ALL THE ELECTRIC WAS CHECKED, OUTLETS.. ETC. 

Can you scan your schematic and post a link of it somewhere?

no, it is stuck(sticker) inside the dryer. I can't seem to find one online, but i will try again.

unable to find a schematic online.

Timer Motor  ... single winding AC Motor shouldn't be able to run backwards ..

110.84722401 Wiring Diagram

i know, but it does. on timed dry if i set it to 10 mins, it will move backwards to 15, 20, etc

i believe a bad transformer on a pole can cause mechanical clocks to turn slow, but i'm not sure if that could make one turn backwards

maybe another tech knows what affect AC cycles can have on a clock

just to verify its not electrical related i suggest you buy or borrow a clock with mechanical hands that plugs into the wall and plug it in one of the basement outlets to see if it keeps time correctly

cause everything i know tells me there is nothing you can do to the wiring inside the dryer to make the timer turn backwards

is there a way i can bypass the control board? i still think that's the problem! i don't want the "auto" cycle anyway.

i checked the outlets with one of those outlet testers with the lights and everything was fine.

[user=71812]havintrouble[/user] wrote:

is there a way i can bypass the control board? i still think that's the problem! i don't want the "auto" cycle anyway.

shouldn't matter,

the Control Board is by-passed in the Timed Dry Cycle ..

you could completely disconnect it, and Timed Dry should still work

an outlet tester tests voltage and polarity

it will not test hertz,  this is why i am suggesting an old style plug in clock with hands

if you do try the clock test, plug the clock into the outlet of your range as its your other 240 volt appliance

does your range have an old style clock?  does it keep correct time?  a bad transformer will not affect digital clocks   btw

hertz shouldn't matter, neither should polarity (AC) ...

isn't the unit simple, why is this so hard to figure out?

trust me, the electric in the home is fine, but, thank you!

YES, THE TIMER WAS REPLACED AND BRAND NEW.

I ALSO TESTED THE TIMER, OLD AND NEW WITH A METER, BOTH TESTED FINE. (YES, I KNOW HOW TO TEST IT THE CORRECT WAY)

[user=71812]havintrouble[/user] wrote:

YES, THE TIMER WAS REPLACED AND BRAND NEW.

sealed box/package ... ?

still ... bad Timer ..

Well I guess, no one can figure this mystery out. I thank everyone who tried!! If I eventually figure it out I will let everyone know what it was! Thanks Again!

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

still ... bad Timer ..

can't be anything else ...

UNLESS ... possibly

if one of the bigger Black wires or Red wire, ect, is looped near / or too close to the Timer Motor (round) housing

( Somebody verify this ) .....the timer part number by sears, 3406712  regu.s. has a timer with p/n 3976584................... What is the timer part number that was installed in your dryer????

[user=32822]certified tech group 51[/user] wrote:

( Somebody verify this ) .....the timer part number by sears, 3406712  regu.s. has a timer with p/n 3976584................... What is the timer part number that was installed in your dryer????

yes ... you're correct ..

When I enter 110.84722401 into RepairClinic,

it doesn't know that model number, but it shows parts for other close models (but no cigar)  :ooo:

(previous post edited)

ALSO, did you replace the Timer Motor ?

(or complete assembly)

OR just the Switch Assembly ?