Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Heating Element with No Resistance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 crp294rp2

crp294rp2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:00 PM

I've got a Magic Chef electric dryer model YE20EN4. The dryer runs but there's no heat. I've read posts here and checked the resistance at the heating element. There is no resistance. I assume there is a short that is bypassing the element. Does this sound right?.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:08 PM

[user=361]crp294rp2[/user] wrote:

I assume there is a short that is bypassing the element. Does this sound right?.

No.  Most likely you've either dropped one of the hot legs on the dryer outlet or the thermal fuse is open.  More info here.

#3 crp294rp2

crp294rp2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:22 PM

I'm not sure what you meant by "dropped one of the hot legs on the dryer outlet. Also there is something called a high limit thermostat next to the heating element. Is this the same as a termal fuse?

#4 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

Hello, my semi-literate friend.  First, let me say how much I empathize with the difficulties you apparently have in reading English.  I, too, share this burden with you as English is but a 17th language for me.  Since you were unable to read the link that our most dear and gracious host, Samurai Appliance repair Man, so generously provided for you to illuminate your path, I shall attempt to read it myself and see if, together, we can discern its meaning.  Are you ready?  Very well, here we go:

Use your meter to measure for 240v at the dryer outlet.  Apparently, our illustrious host says that the dryer motor can run on 120v, but the element need 240v to get hot.

I think it would be advisable to check the continuity of anything that is round with two terminals on it, regardless of their name.  If any of them are open, you should replace them.

I am afraid that is as much as I can comprehend.  The remainder of the Samurai's glistening pearls wisdom are too brilliant for this old and dottery man to bear.  Come, take the torch and march onward to victory and Paradise, where you shall be served fresh grapes by young, scantily-clad virginal boys.

Allahu Akbar!

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:53 PM

[user=361]crp294rp2[/user] wrote:

I've read posts here and checked the resistance at the heating element. There is no resistance.

Do you mean that it has infinite resistance?  In other words, when you short your probes together, you get zero (or near zero) resistance.  Is this what you get when you touch them to the heating element terminals?  Or is there no reading, as though you didn't put the probes on anything?

#6 crp294rp2

crp294rp2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

The readings are zero when i check the heating element and when I touch the two probes together.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

And you have at least one of the wires to the heating element terminals removed to isolate it from the rest of the circuit?  I'll assume yes.  In that case, you need to replace the heating element

Posted Image

#8 crp294rp2

crp294rp2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

Nope, didn't remove any wires from the heating element prior checking. I will try that.

That's the picture of what I'm looking at. I checked, with all wires still connected, at various places with the same results.

Sorry for my confusion.

#9 crp294rp2

crp294rp2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Ok, removed wires from heating element and still have 0 resistance.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:35 PM

Ok, that confirms it.  Go git you a new heating element.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics