Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Defrost Timer for GE TBX25ZPE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stevezodiac

stevezodiac

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

Uh oh. Just got the part from you guys and put it in, but the numbers are different from the original part and reference two different items on your site.

I searched on repairclinic and got your part number 3414 which is  a Sankyo TMDJX35RB9. Put it in, plug fit the contacts, turning the crank causes fridge to go out of defrost mode and turn on the compressor fine.

However, searching the part number for the OEM part of WR9X419 yields your part number 310900 which is a Sankyo TMDJ830RB9. What the difference? Will the 3414 work ok? Cycle time 10 hrs as indicated on the OEM part?

Thanks for taking a look.

Also do you know the pinouts for the timer? I'd like to hook up the old part to power and verify the motor is shot. The contacts I THINK are the motor windings are open so it looks fried but I'm not 100% sure I've got the right ones identified.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

TMDJX35RB9  10 hrs ......(up to) 30 minutes (determined by the Thermistor)

TMDJ830RB9   6 hrs ....... (up to) 25 minutes (determined by the Thermistor)

Motor pins 1 and 3

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 stevezodiac

stevezodiac

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

Ummmm...that's odd. The OEM timer (WR9X419) references to the "830" with a 6 hour cycle, but it has "10 hour timer" stamped on the face.

So what are the effects of leaving the part I have in?

#4 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:16 AM

timer motors have very high resistance, make sure meter is set to highest scale

for the most part timers are interchangable, specially when the defrost is terminated by a thermistor

the main reason timers are going from 6 to 8 to 10 to 12 hours is to meet energy guidelines, in saying that.....   as a rule i will only change timers down   i.e if it had a 10 a 8 will work, just defrost more often and cost a bit more over the long haul

whirlpool fridges are the ones you dont want to change over as some timers are configured differently, your GE should be fine.

i put my standard universal 8 hour timer into all GE fridges

i dont even stock one of those lil sankyo timers

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

[user=20728]BrntToast[/user] wrote:

timer motors have very high resistance, make sure meter is set to highest scale ...

some Defrost Timers have an internal Capacitor in series with the Motor

won't normally read with an OHM meter ..

#6 stevezodiac

stevezodiac

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks Brnt. I guess I'll leave this one in and see how it goes. As long as there's nothing tricky about the circuit, the specs seem to indicate I am replacing a 10 hr with a 10 hour anyway.

Meter shows continuity in the motor using the high scale on pins 1 and 3. Hopefully the problem IS indeed the motor. Heater tube glows and warms up so it just about has to be. The thermistor just turns the heater off early, right? If it were bad it wouldn't override the timer, which would turn the heater off anyway after 25 mins or so?

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

If the Thermistor was bad, it may not turn the Heater OFF until the Timer turns it OFF after 25 minutes,

Or it may turn the Defrost Heater OFF early, or not turn it ON at all.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,245 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

I have yet to see or hear of a case where Repairclinic's database incorrectly pulled the wrong part. Parts are upgraded all the time by the manufacturers; a huge chunk of a good parts suppliers job is to keep their parts database up to date. RC uses bleeding edge technology to do this.

#9 stevezodiac

stevezodiac

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:46 PM

I dunno, I'm certainly not complaining, and it seems as though the differences between the two models of Sankyo timers are tiny...I can imagine how a slight change in manufacturer's specs could cause a database to show one over another. (Plus the one I got and am using was about 15-20 bucks cheaper than the other so no beef there!) I've had many auto parts experiences where the database would stutter when it tried to match an OEM model number to an aftermarket part.

Maybe it was my mistake. Try searching and see what part comes up for you. Remember I searched the fridge model number the first time, the second time I searched the part number of the OEM timer AFTER I had removed it and had access to the specific number.

Anyway, no problems on this end and I appreciate your fast service and the excellent advice to clear up my confusion.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

[user=52484]stevezodiac[/user] wrote:

... the second time I searched the part number of the OEM timer AFTER I had removed it and had access to the specific number.

had it been replaced before ?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,245 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:34 AM

I get the 3414 timer when searching by model number, too. That means this is the upgraded part for this model. The fact that you can find the old part using a part number simply means that the old part is (for now) still available.

#12 stevezodiac

stevezodiac

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:44 AM

Well, there you go then. I got the right part after all.

And Reg, good question, but I bought this fridge new and have never had to work on it before. I guess I lucked out and got the last generation of good GE stuff, the fridge is beat but it's been very reliable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics