Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Poor Cooling - Jenn Air JSD2789AEB

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 The Garmin Man

The Garmin Man

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:44 PM

I have a side by side Jennair Fridge (JSD2789AEB)  The coils are clean and the freezer side seems to be freezing things OK.  The Refrigerator side is cool but will not get cold.  Anyone have a good place to start or have a schematic available?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

Wass hoppening, my main garmin man?

Given that the freezer temp is good and, I'm guessing, that the evaporator fan is running (that's the fan in the freezer compartment), this probably boils down to an air distribution problem.  Check your air supply and return ports.  And this post at my website might apply to you, too. (Jenn air is a Maytag brand, BTW).

#3 The Garmin Man

The Garmin Man

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 05:46 PM

O Great one, you have enlightened me.  I followed your wisdom and teachings to the great return vent in the sacred beer compartment.  As you suspected, an unsightly layer of  primordial ice engulfed the vent.  As of this moment, the flow of electrons has been severed and I await the gentle sound of dripping water to fill my ears.  I am in ever in your debt Oh Great One!   The Garmin Man.  GPS is my game..:notworthy:

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:27 AM

You rockin' now! :rocker::rockband:

#5 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:11 PM

Greetings, oh wise one! This is my first worship at your almighty altar, your earlier pearls of wisdom having already provided me with much inner peace in the solution to the recently warmed (50°-plus) beer compartment in our Jenn-Air JCD2389GES side-by-side.

(Unfortunately, they have yet to add much-needed coolness to the adult malt beverages contained therein. Have you ever noticed how much MGD tastes like elk piss when warm? I think I shall convert to German malt beverages!)

In our case, the problem appears to have been caused by ABF (Applied Brute Force) reassembly of the colder-beer drawer assembly by my wife and daughter, who have driven by enough Sears stores to dismantle and repair appliances, and deigned to field-strip the assembly in situ.

They apparently had a "tough time" settling all of the parts back into place, and said ABF reassembly caused one of those spindles holding the frames in place (the upper right rear one on a three-drawer assembly) to snap off. I have learned that these little things are impervious to the administration of remedial panacaeic elixers (known to the unwashed masses as "Super Glue").

Perhaps their shoving things back in as best as they could merely caused the door to not seal properly, or perhaps it caused some blockage to the return air vent ... who knows yet? Before learning of the unenlightened truth of how the icebox and beerbox thermostats actually work, we had set the icebox control to maximum, thus relieving the beerbox of any cold air it might have received otherwise. This was, of course, before we came to your holy site. (The icebox was most recently at -20° while the beerbox hovered at or above 50°!)

The return air vent did not otherwise appear to have any ice blocking it, although a thin veneer had begun forming as a probable result of the above mentioned adjustment of the thermostatic controls. Fortunately, it had only been set that way for a few hours. We shall see in the next several hours more whether the cold air shall once again flow from one side to the other. Perhaps then I shall return to say "thank you" once again and with more emphasis, or perhaps to inquire more fully as to how to solve our continuing problem.

One bright thing is that, since I re-dismantled and re-reassembled the drawer assembly, displaying infinitely more patience and finesse than my kin, the beerbox door now seems to seal unfailingly. Mayhaps that alone shall be our ultimate salvation!

I am humbled in your presence! Your worship will be the ongoing focus of my life henceforth!

The Duke

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

A gripping and compelling tale of your near-death appliance battle.  And you are a better warrior for having prevailed.  Bless you, my son.

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

[user=0]Texas Dukester[/user] wrote:

Have you ever noticed how much MGD tastes like elk piss when warm?

Never having tried warm elk piss, I wouldn't know....but, to each his own.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:53 AM

Oh Worshipful and Exalted Fermented Master of Appliantology, the earth trembles in your presence!

The beerbox has returned to the reasonable temperature of about 36° and the MGD almost tastes like beer again (I think, however, I shall still convert!).

Perhaps - dare I be so bold as to suggest! - when this issue arises again, or in an update to the 'Fire Drill' kata, it may well be wise to add the query: have female fixits attempted to fix it? If so, start over!

It appears the problem was due simply to the shelves being put back in incorrectly. I am hiding all of my tools, tho' unfortunately that won't prevent this tool-less operation from being repeated sometime in the future.

Fortunately, they are off gathering today. I am headed to Home Depot to hunt.

Thanks again for this outstanding resource. May just PP you some buxx for the buzz!

#9 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:57 AM

[user=13]Mad Mac[/user] wrote:

:shock: I thought everybody had! Once again I find myself at the bleeding fringe.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

[user=4702]Texas Dukester[/user] wrote:

[user=13]Mad Mac[/user] wrote:

:shock: I thought everybody had! Once again I find myself at the bleeding fringe.

I didn't want to say anything before, but since we're all baring our breasts, I must confess that I do enjoy a bracing slug of warm elk piss from time to time. Especially when I'm out of warm MGD. :gulp:

#11 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:01 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

[I must confess that I do enjoy a bracing slug of warm elk piss from time to time.

I would have thought that was more Moostapha's kind of thing....
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:08 PM

You're thinking of cheap vodka and semen of yak, the Afghani national drink. Same idea but in a different cultural context. :pisser:

#13 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

I didn't want to say anything before, but since we're all baring our breasts, I must confess that I do enjoy a bracing slug of warm elk piss from time to time. Especially when I'm out of warm MGD. :gulp:

Well, gosh, oh Wise One, if the baring of breasts is what nirvana I sought, certainly I'd have sought it at some other sites!

... Tho' in the context of one's beerbox, there is a way to tell if it's cold enough to put up your Christmas tree. This, I am also told (although you may know differently, or have already know this) is a good way to gauge the temp of your beerbox if you're too cheap to buy a thermometer ....

Attached Files

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

Dayyam, I didn't think it got that cold down there in Texas.

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

Yep it does get cold here in Texas, however, I am in no way going to help prove it to anyone in here...LOL  ...;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#16 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

Wichita Falls is "up there" in Texas to me ... but it's almost as cold here as it is there!

Whether it's proof or not that it does get cold in Texas, it is certainly proof that (1) my beerbox is now cold, and (2) things are bigger in Texas!

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:00 AM

But some things are not meant to kept in beerboxes.:laughing:

#18 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:33 PM

Your humble obiesient returns, oh Master!

We arrive with a similar problem, that the air on the same refrigerator is not circulating into the beer box from the ice box when the ice box door is closed. Air blows into the beer box when the ice box door is open.

The air return at the bottom of the beer box is not blocked or frozen, and appears clear into the main ice box at the bottom. I don't know about the passage up behind the back panel. The air passage at the top is not frozen or blocked.

I've adjusted the 'stats to increase the flow between the two boxes, and cool the beer box lower to see if that makes a difference. As far as I know, no adjustments have been made to the box since my last post a couple of months ago.

Should I be practicing another kata than this?

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:06 PM

[user=4702]Texas Dukester[/user] wrote:

The air return at the bottom of the beer box is not blocked or frozen, and appears clear into the main ice box at the bottom. I don't know about the passage up behind the back panel. The air passage at the top is not frozen or blocked.

This is where we must focus our keen squinties. A special kata is required here. You must ensure that the bottom air return passage is completely clear by thrusting your four fingers clear through the bulkhead separating the two compartments. If the evaporator fan (in the freezer) is blowing and we have good temps in the freezer (0F), then the problem can only be air distribution. And given your description of the difference in air supply to the beer compartment between door open or closed, that clearly points out air return as the only logical solution.

Now is the time you must snatch the pebble from my hand.

#20 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:23 PM

This is where we must focus our keen squinties. A special kata is required here. You must ensure that the bottom air return passage is completely clear by thrusting your four fingers clear through the bulkhead separating the two compartments. If the evaporator fan (in the freezer) is blowing and we have good temps in the freezer (0F), then the problem can only be air distribution. And given your description of the difference in air supply to the beer compartment between door open or closed, that clearly points out air return as the only logical solution.

Now is the time you must snatch the pebble from my hand.

Fat fingers are upon my hands, thus only three were able to clear the bulkhead. The fan is running, but at no time could the cold air circulating into the beer box be described as "gushing" in; it is merely that one can feel a slight breeze on a wet finger that is completely absent when the ice box door is closed. It would not extinguish a match if a match were placed beside it.

Can air return be the only logical solution? What of air supply? With the air return passage clear, there is no difference if the middle crisper drawer is in or removed (it is usually empty as I have no need for crisp beer, but I leave the drawer there anyway): at best, it is only a slight breeze at the top left of the beer box.

Also, please use small rock as fat fingers and pebbles don't match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics