Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Poor Cooling - Jenn Air JSD2789AEB

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:26 PM

Now is the time we must rest our gaze upon the evaporator coil itself and its attendant fan. You are our eyes; tell us what you see.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Now is the time we must rest our gaze upon the evaporator coil itself and its attendant fan. You are our eyes; tell us what you see.

Where are we looking, and what are we looking for?

#23 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

We are gazing upon the evaporator coil itself. Its attendant fan is operating finely, and once the cover was removed from the assembly, air indeed "gushes" into the beer box, even with the ice box door closed.

The coil itself looks like a miniature cold weather stalagmite experiment, as it is covered with fuzzy 'ice' as is the cover surrounding it. There do not appear to be any blockages above the fan, although two round tubes to the right of the fan were blocked - one partially, the other completely - by snow. These are now clear (I could only push the snow in, to wherever the tubes lead. It seems like a fair-sized open area). Herself, the wifely one, wonders if the coil and casing should have so much frozen material upon them.

The temperature, which was around 0º just the other day, is now hovering between 30-40º although this is after the ice box door has been open long enough for us to remove all frozen items and transport them to the outdoor freezer (with the door remaining open in the meanwhile), and then removing the inner shelves and panels and gazing upon their countenances for some time. I am awaiting a more favorable return after some minutes ....

It has dropped 10º in the past 15 minutes. Will know more in the morning.

#24 Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Lurker_Texas Dukester_*

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:01 AM

Oh Singular Master!

The pebble in your hand is a new $100 evaporator coil!

The temperature in the ice box is over 25º and in the beer box, over 50º!

Please reward me with your wisdom!

#25 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:06 PM

[user=4702]Texas Dukester[/user] wrote:

The coil itself looks like a miniature cold weather stalagmite experiment, as it is covered with fuzzy 'ice' as is the cover surrounding it.

This is a defrost system failure: ADC board, defrost heater, defrost limiter. You'll need to test each component to determine which one is the bad actor.

#26 The Garmin Man

The Garmin Man

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

O wise one, It has been many days since we have last communicated.  It seems as if the freezer coils continually ice up. Everything is clean and there are no obstructions.  I find myself thawing out the coils about every two weeks.  I do not believe that the coils are getting defrosted.  What items must I check to insure proper operation?  Your wisdom as always is appreciated.:yikes:

#27 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:23 PM

You have returned, and with a different problem on your fridge. This will be a defrost system problem, usually the ADC board, but easy enough to verify. If I were on the call, I'd tear apart the freezer ('cuz I'd have to defrost it anyway) and check the heater and defrost terminator for continuity. If they check out, then I'd slap in a new ADC board and warranty the repair for a year. No call backs yet! :)

#28 The Garmin Man

The Garmin Man

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:59 PM

Oh Wise One, I have checked the items you described and they show continuity.  I am leaning toward the defrost board.  Before I tear into neverland, could you briefly describe where the board would be located and how best to get to it?  On another note, I have read your plea for beer fund replenishment and have authorized my financial institution to send you a small token of my gratitude.  I also see that you like to wander the mountains with your german companion.  We do the same here in Oregon.  We also have a german companion plus 3 wild ones from Siberia.  Should you ever need assistance with a Garmin GPS please do not hesitate to ask.  As always, we appreciate your wisdom and the fact that you share it!

#29 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:49 AM

The ADC board is inside the beer compartment, up top, right at the ceiling. Remove the top shelf inside the beer compartment so you can stick your head inside and turn it to the sky. The ADC control is in the that top-most control compartment, right hand side. Start by unplugging the refrigerator.

There are two sets of screws,a Phillips pair, and another 1/4" pair, toward the front that need to be removed. There's also a pair of 1/4" screws on the back way that need to come out. This diagram might illustrate it better.

Now, here's the tricky part. To pull the control plate tray out, you need to pull the tray down and toward you at the same time. It's tricky until you get the hang of it. Remember: finesse, not force. You're dealing with cheap plastic-- if you force it too much, it'll break.

The details may vary slightly among models but improvise, adapt and ye shall overcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics