Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag 3 door fridge MFD2560HES

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

been through the forums, got me this far:

cleaned the coils under the fridge, they were really clogged

the fan underneath the freezer to the back of the unit is working (the fan for the condensing coils?)

there is air blowing into the freezer and into the fridge

there was ice on the back of the freezer, and the evaporater coils were icy

i took out the draw and pryed opened the back of the freezer unit (from the inside) just enough to get a blow dryer on the evaporater coils and get the ice off.

fridge is running now, far as i can tell, compressor is on...

if the freezer and fridge get cold, i test the defrost heater? where is that, and how do i access it?

how do i get the panel off the back inside of the freezer? i took the screws off it, but do i need to take the ice maker off too? and there is some kind of thermostat looking thing on the upper right corner of the back panel, just pry off and leave? is there a 'trick' to getting the panel off? and do i even need to get it off, can i access and defrost heater this way?

am i even close to resolution on this POS?

any tips here would be a big help...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 03:07 AM

Taking out the icemaker will make things easier to get to.
Take off the back panel by removing the 1/4 inch screws and use your hairdryer to melt off the ice. Check for continuity on the defrost heater and defrost thermostat.
It's probably one of those two things causing your issue.

#3 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

check for continuity... remove heater unit, set multimeter to OHM, touch one probe to each side. if i get a reading of infinity, the heater is fine... same program on the thermostat? if i am missing something can you let me know? thanks. 

will get testing late tonight after the family is sleeping... if i understand it correctly, the fridge will work okay temporarily, till the coils frost up again....

will let you know how i make out... anything i need to know about getting the ice maker out of the freezer or is it pretty straigh forward?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

[user=50937]simmerhawaii[/user] wrote:

check for continuity... remove heater unit, set multimeter to OHM, touch one probe to each side.

if i get a reading of infinity, the heater is fine... same program on the thermostat?

not infinity ...  infinity is "open" (no connection)

Defrost Heater should read abouit 30 OHMs

Defrost Thermostat should read about 0 OHMs (if cold 0°F)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:29 AM

got it, thanks, test are done with the units (heater or thermostat) removed correct?

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

just disconnect one side of each..
(depending on meter, not necessarily required)

but remove Power Plug from Wall Outlet !

#7 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:24 AM

roger dat! thanks.

#8 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

i took off the back panel, but i did not see what i thought the heater unit would look like, could not locate it.
do you have an image of it, and/or its location? where is that bugga?

other point i found surprising, there was a full on block of ice at the upper right of the condesing coils where the copper tubes went into the unit.... we're talking ice scuplture here.... normal?

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

[user=50937]simmerhawaii[/user] wrote:

... a full on block of ice at the upper right of the condesing coils ...

Evaporator Coils ? (in the Freezer) ?

post picture somewhere then post the link here ..

#10 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

the group of silver fins that look like a radiator behind the freezer wall... what do you call that?

#11 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

this is a stock pic i found... looks like mine, but did not have that much snow...

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/attachments/sears-kenmore/303d1149020430-bottom-freezer-model-596-inside2.jpg

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

that would indicate a Defrost problem

MFD2560HES Tech Sheets

#13 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:18 PM

ran the forced defrost, 2 minute cycle, heard some dripping and sizzling.... guess the heater is okay?
what next?

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

Yep, heater and def. thermostat are good. Check continuity of the orange wire that runs from the freezer back up to the jazz control board. If that's good, then replace the jazz board==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MFD2560HES

#15 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:46 AM

Yep, heater and def. thermostat are good. Check continuity of the orange wire that runs from the freezer back up to the jazz control board. If that's good, then replace the jazz board==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MFD2560HES

Just a NOTE in-case anyone missed it, that picture is not a picture of his actual freezer coils just as noted a stock picture of one similar to his.

It was mentioned, "other point i found surprising, there was a full on block of ice at the upper right of the condesing coils where the copper tubes went into the unit.... we're talking ice scuplture here.... normal?"

That is not normal and if the rest of the coils didn't have an even layer of frost over them and/or the rest of the coils weren't engulfed in ice then there is a very high likely hood of a sealed system problem. That upper right corner is where the cap tube enters the evaporator and where it would grow into a large ball of ice if it is very low on freon.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,255 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

Good point, Master Willie!

Simmer, what of Master Willie's distinction-- does that apply to your situation?

#17 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

i had a pretty even layer of frost over all the coils, and not to the degree pictured, but what i thought was pretty substantial... so i guess it's not a sealed system problem?

on to testing the jazz board, except you guys have to remember, this is the first time i have pulled apart my fridge, so i have no idea where the jazz board is... and, if i recall correctly, there were several wires running this way and that behind the back wall of the freezer...

i will pull off the back wall of the freezer again this eve (third time now) and try and spy the orange wire. to test the wire for continuity, use the multimeter on OHM setting and look for what reading?

i feel like a total repair kook here, but it's a pain in the arse getting in the freezer and working on this stuff so i am looking to be sure of what i am doing before i dive in, again.... much thanks for your help!

#18 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

The Jazz board is in the R/C compartment - it's the circuit board behind the control - can you recall what the defrost thermostat looked like? it's the disc with orange and brown wires clipped to the coils

Ok - nevermind, I looked up your model and it doesn't have THAT thermostat

Edited by kdog, 23 November 2010 - 09:46 PM.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#19 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

the jazz board is located in the housing that contain your user interface (where you change yiour settings)
to access it: get your head in the fridge and look at the backside of that control housing. upon close inspection you will see 2 tabs that you need to release with a small screwdriver while pulling down on the housing...
the jazz board is inside here and includes the interface buttons.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#20 simmerhawaii

simmerhawaii

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:50 AM

okay, so get to the jazz board in the fridge which is located in the control housing and look for the orange wire running off the jazz board to the freezer. check for continuity on the oragne wire...
to confirm, use the multimeter set to ohms and test the wire? one end of the multimeter probe goes where the orange wire meets the jazz board, and other probe where? and what reading am i looking for on the meter? and this is all done with the power to the fridge disconnected, right?
i am sure this is all very basic for you masters, but not for a master baiter like me!
shoots!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics