Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Refrigerator/Freezer

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 CarolB

CarolB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:29 AM

Well I replaced the timer a week and a half ago and it worked great for 6 days.

Now it is doing the same thing.

It appears no the heater is not coming on to defrost it.

Any ideas.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:48 AM

Back to checking the defrost heater and the flakey bi-metal again....
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#23 Lurker_Trying to help........_*

Lurker_Trying to help........_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:03 AM

The evap fan Neutral leg is fed through the deffrost heater and bi metal. Inspect the bi metal, it should ohm closed when it is cold. When they are finicky, the plastic top will usally look crooked or look like someone pulled it off.(ohming it only real way to tell of course). When it is bad, the evap fan will not run, the cold air from the evap migrates over through the air return to the water tank and freezes it. Thus no water through door.  

#24 CarolB

CarolB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

Well I checked the heater and replaced the bi-metal. lets see if that gets it.

#25 CarolB

CarolB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

The heater seemed fine.

#26 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

;)...keep us posted....

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#27 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

Trying to Help is a lurking Master Appliantologist for he knows that of which he speaketh. What he's saying, Carol, is that the defrost thermostat can open the circuit for the evap fan and defrost heater. This means the heaters can test good for continuity but they'll never have a complete circuit to pass current (and so will never get hot).

In all likelihood, the defrost thermostat was bad (common problem in these Amana's) and by replacing it, you fixed the problem.

#28 CarolB

CarolB

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:04 AM

AH "Fermented Grand Master of Appliantology", his explination of how the defrost thermostat would look like someone had tried to take the top off of it was dead on.

I do believe I have fixed it for good this time.

Miss Pegi suggested I replace it when I replaced the timer, I should have listened.

I am still but a "grasshopper" I have lots to learn.

#29 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:01 AM

We are all learning every day....;)....what we have learned already lets us pass this information on to others....:P

#30 ziggy2003

ziggy2003

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:52 PM

We also have an Amanna side by side that is right now having the same problem. Infact we have had nothing but problems with it. In 2003 the Amanna company paid to have the whole defrost cycle replaced. I dont know how old your unit is but if it is newer It would be worth your time to complain to them about it. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics