Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Matt_In_Michigan

Gold Medal 2388 8 oz

4 posts in this topic

Let me preface this with, this is a popcorn machine given to my wife's special education class.  It's a $600 machine, that needed a new element for $35. 

According to the schematic, my wires are hooked up correctly.  However, once it reaches a certain temperature, it trips my GFI in my workshop.  It doesn't trip my breaker, but the GFI.  The thermostat in this thing is very rudimentary.  It's basically a cover with 2 screws on top, and inside are two pieces of metal.  1 is V shaped and attached on both sides, and the other is just a flat piece attached on one end.  I have a feeling the thermostat is bad, but have no idea if I can test it before I order a new thermostat. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

post-28000-129045118521_thumb.png

post-28000-129045118771_thumb.png

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

It may be just a finicky GFI.

Try it in an Outlet that has a different brand of GFI.

It may be that the oil/salt/fumes got into the Thermostat, causing leakage to chassis ground.

click on picture

2388.jpg

click on picture

47676-thermostat.jpg

my video production: “Easter Seals Walk With Me”

I would try another gfi, or a non-gfi outlet and see what happens. some appliances don't work well with gfi's.

[user=49845]completeapplianceservice[/user] wrote: 

some appliances don't work well with gfi's.

I would say MOST.