Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Kenmore side by side

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Matt_*

Lurker_Matt_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:44 AM

Hello.

Model: 106.8590581, Type: 20SSA89

About a week a go I noticed a puddle in front of the front of the freezer. I opened the door, and noticed about 1/2" of ice on the floor of the freezer. I carefully smashed it off, and hoped it would not return.

Alas, this morning I woke up to the same thing.

Additional info is that about 2 weeks ago, the "ice arm" became dislodged,  causing the ice make to run continuously. I thought I had fixed it, but today I noticed it had come out again, and a large amount of ice had overflowed and built up behind the ice holder/bucket thingy. 

So this time, I REALLY fixed the arm (it snapped securly into place this time), emptied the ice bucket, cleaned out all the overflowed ice, and now I'm letting it (the ice make) run again.

I'm hoping the water on the floor came from overflowed ice cubes that maybe melted during the defrost cycle, but it seems like an awful lot of water (1/2" thick by about 12" x 12").

Reviewing the forums, common problems I've seen are clogged drain lines (still seems a lot of water for that though; although I will say the drain pan is completely dry).

The other thing (I think) I've read is a bad defrost timer that may cause this.

Other changes I made today was to turn the freezer temp down a bit (colder), and to flip the "Saves energy/Reduces moisture" switch to "Reduces moisture". (I've ALWAYS kept it on "Saves energy" in the past.

I'll be waiting another week or so to see if any of the things I did today have any effect on anything, but I have a strong gut feeling they wont.

In the meantime, any other tips of things to check?

I know it must be tiring answering the same questions over and over, and I have a feeling this is one of those questions. So, I apologize for that.......

Thanks Much

Matt

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 October 2005 - 06:05 AM

Always leave the energy saving switch on, this keeps your gaskets dry and prevents mold.  Your defrost drain is stopped up, when the frig goes into defrost 3 times a day the water is collecting in the bottom of the freezer, you will have to clear out the stoppage from the drain trough in the freezer to the drain pan underneath, just removing the ice will not solve the problem.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Lurker_Matt_*

Lurker_Matt_*

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:15 AM

Pegi -

Thanks for the tip on the mold/no mold switch - I'll leave it on the no mold setting from now on.

I pulled the fridge out, and there was a tube running from the bottom of the freezer to the drain pan - it was clear.

So then I removed the back panel (inside the freezer compt) - the pan at the bottom was frozen solid with ice... absolutely nowhere for water to go other than the freezer floor. I pured a few gleasses of hot water in, and eventually got it draining properly.

So, thanks again for that!

One question. On the "panel" that I had to remove to get to the drain, there is a gasket on either side. (gasket is probably the wrong word, but rubber/plastic strips). Anyway, the one on the left is all "crinkly" and is providing little to no seal between the freezer compartment proper, and the coil/fan/all the other gizmos behind the panel that the gasket is attached to.

Could this be contributing to the freeze up of the drain, and should I replace it?

Thanks

Matt

#4 Lurker_Matt_*

Lurker_Matt_*

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:41 AM

Pegi -

I found the gasket at repairclinic.com, I'm going to go ahead and replace it. Also, unless there is a better way, I'll be ordering a coil cleaning brush from there.... mine are filthy. I mean BAD.

Vacummed out what I could, but I gotta think I'm losing a lot of efficiency.

Also I'll be ordering fropm there via this site.

Oh yeah - one other question, just to be sure. When you say  "Leave the energy saving switch on" , I assume you mean leave it set to "Reduces moisture", correct?

Thanks -

Matt

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 03:40 PM

Yes, the switch turns on mullion heaters in the cabinet that keeps the gaskets warm and dry, turning them off will not keep them warm.  I would replace the side gasket in the freezer even tho this probably had nothing to do with the defrost water problem and the condensor coil brush is a must, clean the coils at least twice a year, more if you have pets that shed...If your drain stops up again run hot bleach water  thru the drain, the bleach will keep the slimies from growing as fast again.  Glad I could help you repair this problem, this happens to all ref's over time...;)

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#6 Lurker_Matt_*

Lurker_Matt_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:24 AM

Thanks Pegi!

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:43 AM

You are more than welcome....glad I could help...;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics