Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet gas dryer model # GGW9250PW0, s/n MS0303753 no heat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ddunk1946

ddunk1946

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Miller Light

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

This pair had been doing SO well! My last visit was late 2007,
Whirlpool Duet Gas Dryer Mod# GGW9250PW0, S/N MS0303753 - no heat ...

So, here's the deal per the m'em sahib; clothes not drying but everything else appears normal.

Hoping it was something simple like last time (Thermal Fuse) I replaced the TF (I bought two at the time!). Nah, that didn't do it. Actually, it fired as normal and finished drying a load of clothes. But the next load was cold, no heat.

I pulled the file and diags from my last effort here and observed...

The dryer enters diagnostic mode with no errors, door switch, moisture sensor all work, that is, they passed their respective tests.
The drum spins (no apparent motor problem) and the control panel starts and stops the unit like it should.

Termistor resistance is 8.9 +/- @ 75 degrees, which seems to be in line.

Gas valve test gave resistance readings of:
1402 ohms across terminals 1 & 2 (specs call for 1365 +/- 25)
569 ohms across terminals 1 & 3 (specs call for 560 +/- 25)
1295 ohms across terminals 4 & 5 (specs call for 1220 +/- 25)

Are these within allowable tolerances?

What I see when I watch it try to start with the toe panel removed is the drum starts to turn, the ignitor glows, the gas enters and ignites and burns for perhaps 20-30 seconds then shuts off. Everything else continues, i.e., the drum still turns, the display still looks normal, just not gas/heat. I will come back and repeat the sequence but the gas never stays on for very long.

What am I missing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

when the Flames turns OFF, does the Ignitor glow again right away ?

Do you have the Cabinet assembled (for correct air-flow/thermal devices)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 ddunk1946

ddunk1946

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

No, it doesn't come on right away. Seems to try again after a minute or two. I didn't time it, but it's not right back trying again. I didn't let it grind away to see how many times or how often it would try, but I can if it would help.

Well, the toe panel is off and the top is off. Other than that, all is together.

Another thing I noticed is that, when the flames come on, there seems to be a tiny jet of flame that comes out from under the ignitor cap, if you will, and is aimed at the high limit thermostat. It seems that within a few seconds of exposure, the gas turns off.

I may be overthinking that, as I don't know what normal operation looks like when the flame is on...

#4 ddunk1946

ddunk1946

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well, this is embarrassing. I thought I'd try to start it and time the ignitor attempts when I realized I did NOT have the cabinet back to gether.

I had the blower cover and lint screen out. I replaced both of those and ran a cycle and it's been running and drying with a steady flame for over 10 minutes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But, when I replaced the thermal fuse, it was all together when it finished a load and then went cold again. Maybe the removal and replacement of the various sensors to inspect, gently clean and test helped a bit?

Sometime later...well, false alarm. It dried the sheets, but seems like it was on about 20 minutes (my wife like the timed dry) and when I checked it less than 10 minutes later, it had shut off, but the sheets were dry. She pulled them out and turned them inside out (fitted king sheets) and put them back in to finish drying.

This time, the ignitor came on, but there is a loud click, no gas, and the ignitor turns off. I timed the ignitor and it seems to try every minute or so, but no gas to ignite.

Tried it on 'normal' mode, but the same; ignitor attempts but no gas.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=3479

00489766.jpg

#6 ddunk1946

ddunk1946

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

Yep, that's kind of what it seems. I was looking at the video of them earlier. Will give it a shot, thanks!

#7 ddunk1946

ddunk1946

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:47 AM

Probably should post to this new forum (finally back in town). Bought a box of crucial parts (for the NEXT time!) but replaced the gas valve solenoids first. That did the trick!

Many thanks, all is well here again! :D

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:05 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics