Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to test Bias thermostat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 appliancejack

appliancejack

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

Trying to learn how to test a Bias thermostat Part #307249 5 wire connections. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

the "bias" part of that thermostat ar the 2 center wires, they energise a heater within the therm to make it cycle at a lower heat
without the wiring diagram for the unit it comes from i will say the one single wire on one side would be a common the 2 on the other side will be one normally open, other normally closed

meter for continuity on the common to one of the 2 on the other side will show continuity(this is the normally closed contact), heat the therm to its temp rating and it should click, opening that contact, at the same time you should now find continuity to the other contact from common

to test the bias heater(2 center wires) test for continuity on the meters high resistance scale(sorry i forget what they ohm out at)
common use for a therm like this was auto cycle in older dryers, when the therm was cold it energised the heater and killed power to the timer, every time the therm cycled the heater off the timer was energised and advanced
with cold wet clothes the heater was on alot longer, as the clothes dry and get hotter the heater cycles off sooner and the timer advances faster

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

Posted Image

BrntToast is correct.
the 2 (smaller) wires are for the interal bias heater.

It may be about 3k OHMs

The thermal switch part of it is a Single Pole Double Throw Switch,
normally connects the circuit for the Dryer Heating Element.

Once the Operating Thermostat (thinks) the air temperature is warm enough,
it will disconnect the Dryer Heating Element, and then also allow the Timer Motor to run,
so that the clothes are at the "operating temperature" for the selected amount of time.

The Temperature Switch and/or the Timer Dial selections, allows for the use of the internal bias heater on the Delicate Cycle.
On the "Regular" Switch setting, the Bias Heater isn't used, so that the air temperature must "really" reach the Operating temperature.
On the Medium Temperature setting, there's a 3k Resistor in series with the Bias Heater, so that the Operating Thermostat doesn't reach it's tripping point as fast.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 appliancejack

appliancejack

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:42 PM

the "bias" part of that thermostat ar the 2 center wires, they energise a heater within the therm to make it cycle at a lower heat
without the wiring diagram for the unit it comes from i will say the one single wire on one side would be a common the 2 on the other side will be one normally open, other normally closed

meter for continuity on the common to one of the 2 on the other side will show continuity(this is the normally closed contact), heat the therm to its temp rating and it should click, opening that contact, at the same time you should now find continuity to the other contact from common

to test the bias heater(2 center wires) test for continuity on the meters high resistance scale(sorry i forget what they ohm out at)
common use for a therm like this was auto cycle in older dryers, when the therm was cold it energised the heater and killed power to the timer, every time the therm cycled the heater off the timer was energised and advanced
with cold wet clothes the heater was on alot longer, as the clothes dry and get hotter the heater cycles off sooner and the timer advances faster

I have been trying a test. First, when I place my meter leads on outside terminals (far left and far right) I get zero ohms. 2nd, When I place my meter leads on the inside terminal of the two on one side and the other meter lead on the terminal by its self on the other side, I get zero ohms. 3rd, when I place meter leads on the two center terminals I read 28 K ohms. Now, when I apply heat to the thermostat all the outside readings read open line to indicate thermostat has open. As for the two center terminals with the themostat still open, the reading remains the same at 28 K ohms. What does that tell you?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

the center terminals (bias heater) may actually be 28k OHMs
That's an internal resiator that won't change with temperature.

The Switch contacts are the (3) "big" terminals.

When cold, (2) of those terminals shound show 0 OHMs.

When warm, those (2) should show "open",
and another combination of (2) big terminals should now show 0 OHMs.

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 25 November 2010 - 10:54 PM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 appliancejack

appliancejack

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have been trying a test. First, when I place my meter leads on outside terminals (far left and far right) I get zero ohms. 2nd, When I place my meter leads on the inside terminal of the two on one side and the other meter lead on the terminal by its self on the other side, I get zero ohms. 3rd, when I place meter leads on the two center terminals I read 28 K ohms. Now, when I apply heat to the thermostat all the outside readings read open line to indicate thermostat has open. As for the two center terminals with the themostat still open, the reading remains the same at 28 K ohms. What does that tell you?

#7 appliancejack

appliancejack

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

Thanks guys for all your help. I really appreciate it. I hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving. Thanks again!
Jack Lowe

#8 appliancejack

appliancejack

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:01 PM

Hey fellows, Sorry about adding the last reply twice, I'm still getting the hang of this new site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics