Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Oven door gasket replacement GE Profile

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 akahan

akahan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hi -

I looked through the FAQ, and found a slightly related post, for another oven, but it only told how to remove the old gasket, and not how to install the new one. It might be obvious when I get there, but I like to know what to expect.

I have a GE Profile JGB915SEF2SS. The gasket I'm talking about is the the one that's the thickness (and texture) of a medium-size snake that goes around the inside of the oven door. The ends seem to disappear into the door, so I guess I have to take the inside door panel off to detach the ends from whatever's holding them under the door panel.

But what's holding the gasket to the door in the first place? Glue? Or is it pinched in place somehow? I can't see any retaining clips or anything like that. Am I going to need adhesive or something to attach the new gasket (which is on its way to me)?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Tuco

Tuco

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tap Water

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'm just an apprentice, But what is wrong with the old gasket? Some oven heat leak will not matter. Without a piture, I'm going to guess that you might have to dissasble some layers at your door. The last GE I worked on had a very easy to remove oven door gasket(retainer clips) .

#3 akahan

akahan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

The old gasket has rotted, and is fraying; there are chunks missing out of it. If there are retainer clips, they must be in the interior of the door (that is, under the inside panel), cuz I sure can't see them!

I'm just an apprentice, But what is wrong with the old gasket? Some oven heat leak will not matter. Without a piture, I'm going to guess that you might have to dissasble some layers at your door. The last GE I worked on had a very easy to remove oven door gasket(retainer clips) .

#4 Tuco

Tuco

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tap Water

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

http://www.repaircli...er=JGB915SEF2SS

Is this the part you have? Can't tell if it has little clips.

#5 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 27 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

there is never an adhesive
its either held on by lil clips(new gasket will come with them)
or the gasket is held in by being sandwiched between 2 panel(older units)

so dont worry about needing glue when it gets to your door

just remove and reinstall in reverse order

Edited by BrntToast, 27 November 2010 - 09:00 PM.

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#6 akahan

akahan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:47 PM

Tuco, yep, that looks like it.

BrntToast, thanks...I'll know in a day or two...

Tx!

-A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics