Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

FLASHLIGHTS REVISITED

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cvx

cvx

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

HI GUYS
I recently saw the flashlight string and had some new info I thought might be worthwhile. I started this string simply as a way to get the info out more quickly than if it was just posted at the end of the existing string – hope that’s ok

FlashlightPal

Before going any further, if you’re just skimming the top here, let me mention a really nice flashlight holder I saw on one of the sites I mention below – it’s called the FlashlightPal and their web site is here:

http://www.flashlightpal.com/

They have a Youtube video that’s pretty good. Their site links (on their top bar) to a site where they sell it online for $18.50. Possibly a bit on the high side for a flashlight holder, but I’ll use something like this every day and if the quality will stand up to the daily use I’ll put it through, then it’s worth it.

CandlePowerForums.com

I stumbled onto the “flashlight community” by accident a few months ago.

Flashlights and the new technologies driving higher, brighter outputs are just exploding right now. The crappy old single bulb flashlight will be completely gone from store shelves in 5 years, if not a lot sooner. The biggest blog for people crazy about flashlights and all things flashlight is CandlePowerForums.com. There is more stuff going on here than you can imagine and more info than the normal person can ever handle. There are some excellent discussions and some awesome knowledge available from the people there. By way of mentioning, there are also some excellent videos on YouTube that showcase this new technology, you can search on YouTube using the word “flashlight” or just about any of the new major brands and see some amazing stuff from people truly obsessed with all things flashlight.
My personal awakening to the idea that some people were WAY, WAY, WAY more serious that I ever thought possible was when I dialed up the video showing a guy running a flashlight attached to a Fluke Ammeter. The amp draw?

11 . 6 amps.

No, the decimal didn’t get misplaced.

Eleven point six amps – in a flashlight!

I’m an electrician by trade and a flashlight that does 11.6 amps? Well, I don’t know, it’s kinda like shake your head a couple of times, SAY WHAT???
So long story short, my curiosity as an electrician got me looking, which lead to Candlepowerforums, of CPF as they say. These guys are way beyond me, but at the same time, it’s a great door to a world / technology I never thought existed and to see what’s going on is awesome. The power of these flashlights is unbelievable. I scope out the forums on this site once in a while for info and products – if you want to know what’s going on, this is a great place.

4SEVENS FLASHLIGHTS AND THE NUTNFANCY PROJECT

While looking around, I happened to find 2 sites I really love –

The first was the NUTNFANCY PROJECT, which is an operator / Special Forces guy who write and videos about guns, knives and flashlights. He reviews everything having to do with those subjects in videos that he posts on YouTube. They’re typically 30 + minutes long and of excellent quality. I mention him here because if you like guns, knives, shooting survival and flashlights, than this is well worth a look. My description really can’t do him justice (trust me on this) - you need to take a look. Here’s a piece of his web site bio:
Welcome to The Nutnfancy Project or TNP. I am an INDEPENDENT reviewer of "dangerous things" like knives, guns, tac gear, and other stuff I dig. I also review a variety of outdoor equipment. My focus is on high quality stuff that I like, that lasts, and delivers exceptional service for the price paid. I believe all gear should be systems based, integrating into a "Philosophy of Use" (POU) that has been planned by the user. I have provided several foundational videos that discuss these POUs with the gear. My primary charter at TNP is a consumer advocate for my valued subscribers and I steer them towards the good deals and good dealers.

The second site I found, as a result of the TNP site, was 4Sevens Flashlights

http://www.4sevens.com/

After seeing a Nutnfancy video from the Las Vegas Shotshow that featured the 4Sevens booth and all their products, I purchased a Quark AA Tactical that uses 2 AA batteries and puts out 210 lumens! It’s also about the size of a hotdog. This is one very, very bright flashlight! It has 8 different modes, so burning the light at 210 all the time is not necessary. What’s really nice is the any two of the modes can be selected as the primary and secondary modes, which you can switch back and forth from by simply turning the head of the light ( the bezel they call it) 90 degrees. There a 5 primary lighting modes: moonlight ( .2 lumen – yes, point 2), low, medium, high, and max. There are also 3 flashing modes: SOS, beacon and strobe. This flashlight has received excellent reviews and I have owned one for about 8 months now and use it daily in an oil refinery environment, which is a pretty tough test of a working light in my opinion. I sure don’t baby it and it’s worked flawless, absolutely flawless. I plan on buying the FlashlightPal ASAP, as this will solve the last problem we have with all flashlights, namely how to get our hands free with the light on, but have the light actually point to what we’re working on! The Quark AA Tactical sells for $53 and uses 2 AA cells and I think is a great work light with both excellent size and versatility that will serve a service guy well.

This weekend my wife gave me a 4Sevesn Maelstrom G5 that puts out 350 lumens. This thing is again the size of a hotdog, but with a head slightly bigger than the Quark AA and I cannot believe how far this throws the beam!! Absolutely amazing!! This light is designed to “throw” light out there, as opposed to the Quark AA which has distance but also “floods” a broader beam around the main beam of light And, of course, being a 4Sevens, there are multiple modes very similar to the Quark AA.

This light with battery and charger, is about 125 and probably the best small flashlight out there. Just amazing to see how much this small little thing in your hand can light it up, and I mean REACH OUT and light it up!!

K, so that’s my info and thoughts on flashlights – Hope it helps you, gives you more info!
And if nothing else, remember, Xmas is coming .….

cvx

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

quote name='cvx' timestamp='1290980878' post='177700'] ... video showing a guy running a flashlight attached to a Fluke Ammeter. The amp draw?
11 . 6 amps.
No, the decimal didn’t get misplaced.
Eleven point six amps – in a flashlight![/quote] had to be a fluke .. :blink:
could have been "rigged"

here's some info:
http://www.flashligh...uyers_guide.htm

LED flashlights have come a long way, and prices dropped.

my suggestions:

single LED ... no multiples (less efficient)

AA only, easily available/rechargeable (not AAA) (NOT CR123)
single AA is small, (2) AA, and some (4) AA

single LED flashlights ... under $5

http://www.dealextre...dx/category.999

http://www.meritline...Term=flashlight[

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 cvx

cvx

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:30 AM

Hi
No, it wasn't, seriously. I'm a journeyman electrician and yeah, it sounds crazy, but these things are just taking off. I'll try and find the video and get back to you...;) the other sites mentioned have some good info too. This is the Nutnfancy video on Youtube for the 4Sevens Shotshow booth I originally mentioned:

I did look at the Flashlight buyers for just a bit (have to get up at 4 am, its 9.35 here) but i noticed it was last updated in June 2007 (at the top of the page) so ?? . I also noticed a reference at the bottom of the page to the same forum I mentioned the CPF, ro CandlePowerForums, so the guy looks legit. Maybe he left for CPF?/ haven't had tome to look, but Regus, I'd check out these others lights. They're just amazin'.

I'll try to get back in the next few days.. by the way, did you see my last post at Robertshaw? ... sorry again!

k, thanks, see ya!
cvx

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:49 AM

.. by the way, did you see my last post at Robertshaw? ...

yes ... ok ... :)
many users come here and expect us to have x-ray vision. :blink:
They'll say they have a Kenmore Washing Machine, but didn't bother to look for the model number ..
Find out it's 30 years old ..
Kenmore doesn't make anything .. Who Makes Sears Kenmore

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics