Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

frigidaire gallery tumble action washer fwt449gfs2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 annaech

annaech

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 11:48 PM

Washer was running fine all day until heard a not familiar although not loud sound when I went to look the tumbler was moving slowly and then stopped as if straining.  I also noticed a smell so I quickly turned it off.  I removed the items inside and noticed not the outside but the inside that spins was sort of loose as if came off whatever held it.  You can see at top the edge where rubber used to cover which shows that it is not as it used to be placed (centered) now instead it appears to be hanging and sort of resting on the floor of the outer drum or tumbler don’t know what its called.  I haven’t called Sears yet for they are closed but was curious to know how much does that cost to repair and curious to know what may have caused it to happen.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:51 AM

I fear from your description you have a major problem.

Can you grab the inner spin basket and move it up and down, not just turning but physically move it up and down and sideways. If so, major breakage, back drum support yoke has broken one or more of the three arms that attach to the spin basket.

The stainless steel tub and outer plastic tub have a 10 year warranty for parts, I believe. Problem is, part only covered under warranty, you have to pay labor. This is a very expensive job for even just labor.

Here's a link to the part CLICK HERE and you can see the part I'm talking about.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:52 AM

IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH THE "SPIDER" BRACKET HAS BROKEN, AND IF IT HAS, FRIGIDAIRE WARRANTIES THEM FOR 25 YEARS. HOWEVER, IF THIS IS A "SEARS" OR A "KENMORE" PRODUCT, OR AS I ASSUME WAS PURCHASED AT SEARS, FRIGIDAIRE'S WARRANTY MY HAVE NO AFFECT ON YOUR MACHINE.
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#4 annaech

annaech

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:11 AM

Yes, when I grab the inner spin basket and pull it up and down side to side it does move more freely thant normal.  If I just push it to spin its rubbing on the bottom so that movement is no longer free, it does sound as if its grazing the bottom.  But if I hold it up and turn, then it does turn freely.  And it does this all the way around (move freely) If I continue to hold it up.

How much expensive will it be, is it like buying a new machine would be better worth it, this one was only 4 yrs old.  Also how common is that and is it caused by pulling clothes out or by putting in heavy loads?  Thank you for your responses.

Oh and just remembered I bought it at circuit city not sears.  We used to pay for the insurance and before it ran out we had a service person who came just to take a coin that had gotten into one of the parts attached to the hose at the front bottom it has two clamps.  Well, several times a year it kept happening and it was a fine machine except for that.  We used to fix it ourselves, it was simple to do but such an inconvenience.  In all the years I've had 4 washers and this is the first one that had this problem, and had no problems at all.  If I have to buy a new one I would fear the newer the model the less reliable and durable it will be.

#5 annaech

annaech

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:19 AM

see above

#6 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

Hello, my above-seeing friend.  You know, as an old man who has lived through many wars and even fought in most of them as a Mujahideen warrior, I have rarely experienced anything more fearsome than replacing the inner tub on the Frigidaire front loading washer.  The very thought of it causes me to lose continence of my bowels and bladder, creating much distress for my four wives who must clean it up, as is their rightful place and duty. 

Yes, I have fought this machine and, yes, I have personally wet myself during this fearsome and gruesome battle.  It is not unusual for this battle to take four hours or more to achieve victory... if, indeed, you win.  Here, in my native Afghanistan, the going rate is 1,861,499 Afghanis, which corresponds to approximately $400 of your Ameedican Dollars. 

I pray this information is useful to you.

Allahu Akbar!

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

It's a nasty job, that's for sure, Moostafa. Don't know about wetting myself about it, though.

Anna, this document will give you a better idea of what's involved.

#8 annaech

annaech

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

Thank God for me I'm not in Afghanistan, even if it may have been my husband and his natural nature to handle things roughly that broke the washer I wouldn't mind him breaking the house down just to keep the kind of rightful respectful place that I now have here in the states.   I haven't had to wipe his tushie yet but the respect he gives me has earned him the day that I may have to do it.  But there is equal opportunity, of course, here men will wipe their wives' if they have to also.  Choice shows the true person.

Back to the washer.  It saddens me that we have to be bothered with this problem, lord knows right now we don't need anymore.  I thank you all for the advice and special thanks to the gentlemen who sent the links, neither of you live in my state and I'm feeling like I shouldn't bring this kind of repair to anyone near me (they probably don't want to do it either).  I would fix it myself if I had the time and $400 sounds as if I should just go and get another, perhaps better one.  Only thing is that the dryer is still good and sits on top of the washer.  I would have to get a washer that I could prop this dryer on top of.  I would hate to get the same washer, we were sick and tired of fishing those coins as it was.  They don't build them like they used to.   I used to have an old top loading washer that got accidentally dropped down a flight of stairs and even that didn't break it.....I gave it away years later and that person still has it.

#9 fil7ants

fil7ants

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

I am considering attempting this manuver myself:yikes:.  Will the details given here work on a FWT445GES?  What is the best way for me to get this part that is warranted?  Any other pearls of wisdom?

Thanks,

Phil

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:44 AM

Unfortunitely, probably the only way to get the part that is covered under warranty is to pay an authorized Frigidaire service company the labor to install the warrantied part.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 fil7ants

fil7ants

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:14 PM

Oh well that's a problem.  What am I supposed to do with my washer now?  It works fine except for the failed and warranted part?

Thank

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:11 AM

Here's an idea (click play):

http://media2.big-bo...gernadewash.wmv

#13 fil7ants

fil7ants

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

cute. 

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics