Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Root Kill Question

LaundryMom

This isn't about an appliance, but I hope that someone can answer since it's plumbing related.

We have a city sewer line and roots have grown into the sewer line and caused problems in the past 5 years or so. Once every other year we have had to rent a sewer drain cleaner to clean the main line leaving the house. Finally I read somewhere about Root Kill, a copper sulfate powder that you pour down the drain and when it comes in contact with the roots, it will kill them. It leaves the plant/tree alone but just kills the roots that come into the line.

The directions on the bottle say to apply in the spring and in the fall. However, we forgot this fall. The suspected tree and the bush are naked and dormant.

My question is, is it too late? If we apply the copper sulfate at this late date (We just received our first snowfall two days ago) will it still be effective?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bullstok

• LaundryMom

• kdog

• RussTech

• 1 year later...

Eventually, cleaning out those roots with a cable is going to break that sewer line, and then you'll be forced to remove the tree and repair the line.

• 2 weeks later...

For those people not wanting to dig up their front yard to replace pipe and "do it right": after the roots are removed, the pipe can be lined. It is done from in the house where the pipe leaves. It is not cheap. It involves fiberglass mesh tube (think sort of like a fire hose), epoxy resin, and a liner bag. The fiberglass is coated with epoxy and the whole tube is slid down the pipe. The inner bag is inflated, pushing the liner against the sides of the old pipe. The liner sets up & if done correctly, it is as strong as new pipe or stronger with only a small inside diamater sacrifice. It can be done for pretty long runs. Look it up if you want cause it is a little too complicated for the amount of time i have for this reply to explain it fully. It is a great choice in many circumstances though. Obviously is not a do it yourself kind of thing.

I suppose it would have been a good idea of me to leave a link or 2. Please keep in mind I do no endorsing of a particular method or product. I also do not do this work myself as a plumber. I have seen it done and I know it works. I also know it can be done wrong (if the epoxy sets before the liner is in place you get no second chances.) This is a specialized sort of thing in many areas. Here are a few links to check out:

http://www.perma-liner.com/

http://www.dontdig.com/drainlining.php

http://ussewer-drain...ipe_lining.html

http://www.formadrai...ain-connection/

Note: there are other methods available too. Pipe bursting is done for larger scale jobs. Basicly you use hydraulic rams and large cable to pull a cone through the old pipe with the new pipe coming along behind the cone. The old pipe breaks appart as you pull in the new pipe. The rams are so strong that it can burst even cast iron pipe easily. Lots of cool happenings now a days... Directional boring is another...

Oh crap. Being new I forgot to check rules about links. If those need removed then here is a simplified search string:

sewer pipe lining

Also, sorry for hyjacking the post, that was unintentional. I don't know a thing about root killers. IMHO temporary chemical solutions to mechanical problems are never good. Drano, bars leak, fix a flat, etc, etc, all things that when used by people wanting a cheap fix, usually piss off the ones who end up performing the real solution.

Edited by Bullstok

• Team Samurai

Oh crap. Being new I forgot to check rules about links.

WEDONTNEEDNOSTINKINGRULES.png

th_A_Tip_of_the_Hat_by_jollyjack.jpg