Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Refridge Freezing everything

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hwood

hwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator (model # PSS 25 MGMB) in my garage that has started freezing food in the refridge side.  I have played with the digital temp settings with no change in the situation.  I took the back off and cleaned a rather dirty heat exchanger looking thing along with most everything else in there.  this just seemed to make the unit work more efficiently and the freezing became worse.  I'm not sure of the exact age of the unit but no more than 5 years old.  Can anybody help with the cause of this problem.
Apprentice Appliantologist

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:02 PM

I would start wih checking the air damper from the freezer to the food compartment, these are known to break in either the open or closed position, and the damper assy would have to be replaced, if this is your problem and it is broken open.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 hwood

hwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:20 AM

Do I access through the storage area of the refridge or from the back?  Then, how do I tell if the damper is inoperative?  What controls this damper (thermostadt, electronic control, etc.) and could it have gone bad?  You make it sound as though this is a relatively common problem.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:33 AM

Looks like the damper ASM is ref. # 426 in this breakdown in this food section, believe you will be needing an air damper kit if this damper is broken.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 hwood

hwood

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:21 PM

Once again, you are a GENIUS!  I took it apart and found the door hanging and broken at the bottom (just as you suggested).  I have superglued it and will try it like that if it seems like it's holding well in the morning.  If not, I've located the part close by.  The downside is it's $91.50. . .ouch.  Any other ideas?  Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics