Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
hwood

GE Profile Refridge Freezing everything

5 posts in this topic

I have a GE Profile side by side refrigerator (model # PSS 25 MGMB) in my garage that has started freezing food in the refridge side.  I have played with the digital temp settings with no change in the situation.  I took the back off and cleaned a rather dirty heat exchanger looking thing along with most everything else in there.  this just seemed to make the unit work more efficiently and the freezing became worse.  I'm not sure of the exact age of the unit but no more than 5 years old.  Can anybody help with the cause of this problem.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I would start wih checking the air damper from the freezer to the food compartment, these are known to break in either the open or closed position, and the damper assy would have to be replaced, if this is your problem and it is broken open.

Do I access through the storage area of the refridge or from the back?  Then, how do I tell if the damper is inoperative?  What controls this damper (thermostadt, electronic control, etc.) and could it have gone bad?  You make it sound as though this is a relatively common problem.

Looks like the damper ASM is ref. # 426 in this breakdown in this food section, believe you will be needing an air damper kit if this damper is broken.

Once again, you are a GENIUS!  I took it apart and found the door hanging and broken at the bottom (just as you suggested).  I have superglued it and will try it like that if it seems like it's holding well in the morning.  If not, I've located the part close by.  The downside is it's $91.50. . .ouch.  Any other ideas?  Thanks again.