Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

numbers rubbing off of stainless steel cook top

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 danellis

danellis

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:41 PM

My Viking electric cook top is ceramic with stainless steel surrounding frame. The posts that support the rotary control knobs extend through the stainless steel. Numbers for indicating the temperature settings are on the stainless steel in a circular arrangement around each knob. The problem is that the numbers rub off easily during cleaning of the unit, and Viking does not have replacements for them. Viking says that the numbers are screen printed onto the stainless steel during manufacture and that I would have to buy a whole new frame for about $500.
In addition to being so expensive, it would not solve the problem of them coming off the same way in the future.
It seems totally ridiculous to me that there wouldn't be a much less expensive solution to fixing this problem. Perhaps some other manufacturer has decal-like numbers that I could attach to the unit in place of the old ones. Perhaps someone else has another idea.
This appliance came with the house which was built in 2001 and which we bought second hand just recently. A warranty does not cover the problem.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

The only permamnet solution would be to use a metal engraver, you know, the kind you use to etch your name in tools, to engrave the numbers in the steel.  Engravers aren't expensive, I think I paid less than $20 for mine.

I don't have a very high opinion of Viking stuff.  Overpriced junk that sells to people who like the name or get sucked in by the glossy marketing pamphlets.  The ignitors on their gas ranges are atrocious.  I wised up to that real quick and started replacing 'em with the Maytag 1240035 ignitors and eliminated my warranty callbacks for prematurely failed ignitors.

#3 danellis

danellis

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:36 PM

Thank you for the engraving idea. If I try that, then I better try to find (or somehow make) some guide templates so that it looks professionally done when finished.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

Approach it as an artistic exercise and have fun with it.  If you mess it up, tell yourself it's only a Viking. ;)

#5 Costa Mesa

Costa Mesa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

If you can get a copy of the lettering artwork...or can find something that looks suitable - use this with a laser printer and it just might work. 

http://www.decalpaper.com/

#6 danellis

danellis

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:10 AM

Costa Mesa,
Thank you so much. This seems like it might be a good "fix". I'll check further to make sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics