Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag washer Mav3955eww possible Snugger ring problem, need some help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 patssfan

patssfan

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam Adams, Harpoon

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hello,

I researched some posts and have come to the conclusion that our Maytag may need a snugger ring replaced. According to the wife, the machine bangs incredibly loudly during a cycle and bangs the inside. The tub is very loose, so much in fact, that the tub will move to the side of the washer and I can look down the inside with a flashlight.

Ok, so I have the front off, and do see what looks like white PVC dust inside the base at the bottom. Also much on the floor underneath, I also see some black shavings mixed in also (on floor). I already ordered the snubber. Is there a detailed procedure to do this job posted somewhere? for example, to take the belt off, I just loosen the motor bolt to reduce slack correct? And I assume the whole tub/transmission/drive pulley comes out as one assembly. Whereby I can then flip it over and work on the snubber replacement.

There was also a post somewhere suggesting loosening the 5/16 screws (that hold the brake which is under 200 lbs pressure), about half way each until I can get the old snubber out, carefully of course.

I guess the first question will be to the experts here, is this a snubber ring the culprit? and needs replacement. Or is there something else?

I am not sure this is part of the problem, but in the recent past when the machine runs on a "normal" cycle, you could hear very loud squeaking during the agitation cycle. She would have to run the delicate cycle (slower agitation) to eliminate the loud squeaking.

Is this worth repairing? It was purchased used and is a commercial washer by Maytag? It's only 5 yrs old from date of purchase by the original owner.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but sometimes ones terminology in describing instructions isn't so clear cut with someone doing this for the first time.

I have no problem hiring a repair outlet to do the job, by I'd surely like to save some money if possible.

Thanks in advance,

I am some

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 TRIT0N

TRIT0N

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

the motor is spring loaded, you just spin the belt off and on, as for the snubber, not all have to have the brake loosened to remove it

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

Some tips on replacing the snubber ring here==> http://fixitnow.com/...mbly-some-tips/

#4 patssfan

patssfan

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam Adams, Harpoon

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

Some tips on replacing the snubber ring here==> http://fixitnow.com/...mbly-some-tips/

Thanks, I had already found and read that article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics