Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Whirlpool Refrig. ice maker doesn't get water

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:02 PM

Hello,

I have an ED22RFXF000 - Whirlpool side by side with Ultra Ease water filtration, manufactured 02/99.

I went to mix my favorite adult beverage last night only to find that no ice came out of the ice dispenser (which was normally very dependable). After wiping the tears from my eyes (I wept openly) I looked in the freezer in the ice holder only to find that the cupboards were bare. I then looked up to the back inside of the freezer, and noticed that the little white tube that is open on the top had frozen water in it.

I took a hair drier and melted the ice in the water delivery system inside the freezer (at least that is what I thought it was since it is about where the water line goes up to in the back of the fridge).

After melting the ice, I found that the icemaker did not refill with water! I did notice at the front of the fridge, I was still getting water at the water dispenser.

Help me, I need a cocktail!!!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:10 PM

The ice maker gives power to the fill valve for 8 seconds before it stalls for the freeze cycle.  Since the thru tube was frozen you might have a fill valve that has gone bad on the ice maker side.  Assuming the ice maker is going thru the harvest cycle.  Remove the cover of the ice maker and jumper T to H on the ice maker head to force the ice maker thru a cycle and see if it fills with water just before it stalls, this will take about 4 1/2 minutes.  If no water you might still have a clogged fill tube or the fill valve needs to be replaced. If it fills with water give it 2-3 hours to see if it does harvest this ice. If it just sits there you might have a bad ice maker.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. I manually filled the ice maker and it still froze, and dumped the ice if this makes a difference. I'll try what you suggested, thanks.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:54 PM

Yes, this would incicate possibly the thru tube is still ice up or the fill valve is bad or the ice maker is not giving voltage to the fill valve.   I would start with a bad fill valve if the thru tube is clear.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:03 PM

are the jumpers clearly marked on the front of the unit, I'm not an electrician :-)

Also, should I remove the fill tube first, turn off the water and disconnect it from the back of the fridge first to make sure that it isn't still frozen where I can't see it?

Come to think of it, it makes more sense that it is the fill valve, since something had to stop the water initially so that it would sit there and freeze in the fill tube.

The fill valve's function is to open a passage to let the water in?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:08 PM

The ice maker module is marked T and H on the right lower corner, you will want everything hooked up so you can see if any water enters. The ice maker opens the coil on the fill valve so water will enter the ice maker for aprox 8 seconds.  If you hear the fill valve hum but no water enters and the thru tube is clear you know the valve is bad.

#7 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

Is the fill valve in the back where the through tube is?

Is there somewhere to get a schematic of this thing?

Thanks

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

Fill valve mounted on the bottom rear of the frig, after removing the bottom panel, ref. # 10 here in this diagram part number 2186486.  You will have to pull the box out to access the back, the water line from the house attaches to this valve.

#9 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:17 PM

Ok, I found the spot where I jump the T and H. How long do the two need to be jumped? And if nothing happens, I just replace the fill valve?

Also, I manualy poured some water into the ice tray, and now it doesn't seem to be dumping it out of the tray when full.

#10 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:26 PM

Also, is this the part number I need? WHP4318047

My model is a ED22RF, made in 1999

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

The icemaker should begin harvesting almost immediately after jumpering T to H. After a few seconds, it'll "catch" and continue on its own, at which point you can remove the jumper.

If the icemaker fails to harvest when you jumper T to H, then you need a new module, CLICK HERE.

#12 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

Ok, thanks, but why was Pegi talking about the valve?

#13 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Also, was that link you gave me the part for my particular fridge?

Thanks for your help

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Test the module as instructed.

If the icemaker cycles, but no water, replace the valve.

If the icemaker does not cycle, replace the module.

#15 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

by cycle you mean dump the ice? I jumped it and nothing happened whatsoever.

Also, when the thing first stopped working, the feed tube had water frozen in it as if it wasn't being allowed into the tray, and sat in the feed tube and froze. What does this mean?

Is there any way to check the valve as well? Could the problem be that both don't work? Because, after it stopped making ice, I took a hair drier to the feed tube to melt the ice, then I filled the ice tray manualy with water. After the ice froze, it did dump the ice, but now after filling, it does not dump the ice anymore.

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

[user=0]kctay[/user] wrote:

by cycle you mean dump the ice? I jumped it and nothing happened whatsoever.

That's a bad module. Replace it.

Also, when the thing first stopped working, the feed tube had water frozen in it as if it wasn't being allowed into the tray, and sat in the feed tube and froze. What does this mean?

Frozen fill tube problems can be caused by fill valves that fail to close completely and allow a small amount of water to weep through.

Is there any way to check the valve as well?

For weeping, no. For continuity, yes. This page explains how to make basic electrical measurements. Illustration below:
Posted Image

Could the problem be that both don't work?

Absotootly! Usually, in such cases, the fill tube freezing has been an ongoing problem which precedes the module failure.

#17 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

Dude....

You are da man....

Thanks

#18 Lurker_kctay_*

Lurker_kctay_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:25 PM

Also...

Do you sell the parts? Or have a link based on my model?

#19 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:33 PM

""The icemaker should begin harvesting almost immediately after jumpering T to H. After a few seconds, it'll "catch" and continue on its own, at which point you can remove the jumper.

If the icemaker fails to harvest when you jumper T to H, then you need a new module, CLICK HERE."" 

He already gave you the link to the module that fits all Whirlpool ice makers that use the module  type ice maker.

#20 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:37 PM

[user=0]kctay[/user] wrote:

Do you sell the parts?

Click the links below to order the parts:

Module

Valve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics