Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer - water fills only

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:18 AM

Whirlpool LA9100XTW1 washer.  Water fills correcly to desired level.  But nothing after that.  Motor never runs.  Timer doesn't advance.  Even manually advancing the timer doesn't change cycles.  Recently replaced the motor/drive 3 piece coupler without issue.  Checked the lid switch, it's okay.  The water pressure switch is okay.  What am I missing?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:59 AM

Okay,

I've double-confirmed that the lid switch works (SPST).  The water level switch works (SPDT).  The main pull switch works.  The timer motor runs when I jumper AC to it.  (yeah, I pulled it out to the workbench).

One thing that is odd.  On the schematic diagram on the back cover, this is listed as a LA9500XTW1.  Also, I don't see how the timer gets its NEUTRAL return path on the diagram so it can run.  Could the diagram be wrong?

Come on you experts! :cool:

Chew

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:51 AM

Sure about the water level switch? Can you pump the water back out if you manually advance the timer?
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

Yup.  Very certain.  My test lamp confirmed when I blew into the switch that it conducts both directions.

Chew

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:37 AM

What about the second question? This shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, you clearly know how to carry out electrical tests :cool:
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:38 AM

Oh, and to answer your question...  No - the motor doesn't run.  Nor does the timer motor.   As I stated earlier, the timer motor DOES run when I pulled it out and put it on my workbench.

Water goes in, NOTHING else runs.  Lid switch is good.  Water level switch is good.  Timer START/STOP switch is good.

I'm gonna up-end it next to look at the wiring to the motor.

Chew

#7 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:36 AM

Starting to feel like a one-sided conversation....

Okay - inspection of the motor connector revealed discoloration on two pins.  Possibly this is a higher current set of pins.  I suspect this is an indicator of an overloaded washer as I recently had to replace the coupler.

Anyway, I pulled the 2 female pins out of the shell and gently squeezed them a little tighter and plugged it back in.  The washer now spins AND the timer now runs.  There must be some kind of neutral return through the motor to the timer.

Gonna put it together and see how it goes.

Chew

#8 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:00 AM

[user=371]Chewbacca[/user] wrote:

Starting to feel like a one-sided conversation....

Hello, my one-sided friend.  Please, accept my deepest apologies for your not having received a reply in less than one hour here at Mecca of appliance repair.  I hope, nay, I pray that you apply for you a full refund of all the Ameedican Dollars that you have paid to receive help here at this most pathetic excuse of appliance repair forums.

May I ask one question before you click away in an indignant huff: how did you test the lid switch?  Did you use a meter to measure the resistance and get a numerical reading of the voltage passed through the switch or did you simply listen for a clicking sound or use your test light?

Allahu Akbar!

#9 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:02 AM

She's working again.   Thanks Mad Mac and Mister Samurai.

Chew

#10 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:14 AM

On the lid switch,  I listened for the clicking sound of the switch, measured zero ohms (NOT infinity) with a DVM and used a test lamp to confirm I still knew how the DVM worked.  :)

Not that it matters now, but the agitate cycle of the washer operates with the lid open.  So, I didn't believe the lid switch was at fault.  Spin, however, does require that the lid be closed.

Shalom.

#11 raymondjiii

raymondjiii

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

Moostafa,

That was the funniest message board posting that I have ever read in my life!

#12 theaerokid

theaerokid

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:06 PM

Same problem here except i CAN manually turn the timer but only after the motor cools down a bit(it will humm after it fills then will trip out)  now when it first happned it sat a while and the timer did advance but it just dosnt agitate

#13 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 04:53 PM

Can you turn the motor by hand? Does it agitate if you remove the pump?
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#14 theaerokid

theaerokid

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:24 AM

yes i removed the motor and the agitater turns easily in both directions......the motor looks pretty bad im gonna take it and get it checked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics