Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

F5 on a Frigidaire Range

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Model FW807W-5 (Canadian)
Serial NF44503748

Symptom: I've got runaway heat in the oven section - it will heat till the door latches. They are also consistently getting Err F5. I checked the oven sensor when the stove was hot ... about 350 deg and it was at 1741 ohms - which seems normal to me. I can go back and check the sensor at room temp if needed - I believe it should be around 1100 ohms ... correct?

Question: I believe that this is an EOC problem - but before I replace it, is there anything else I should check?

Thanks!
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

Hard for us Ameedican techs to get info on Canuk model numbers but one of our esteemed colleagues, BrntToast, is a fellow Maple Leafer an a Frigidaire whiz. Maybe he'll see this and post some sage pearls of wisdom.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,026 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Ok, while we're waiting on Master Brnt, I did a little digging and found this:

F5: The watchdog circuit is active when it should be disabled. The microprocessor checked for operation of EOC relay after selection of Bake, Broil, or Clean operation and relay failed test. Check for shorted keypad or pushbuttons binding in glass and stuck. If not replace EOC.

If you have the wiring diagram/schematic, it may have enough info to check for a stuck keypad.

#4 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:57 AM

This one has a capacitive touchglass - I'm not sure that I've see a 'stuck key' on this type of keypad before. Is there a way of testing cap-touchglasses for stuck keys?

I'm pretty sure the EOC is just not recognizing the input from the sensor and so keeps the relay closed. Either that or the relay is fused and so it never cycles. I'm just hoping someone can confirm my thoughts before I go out and buy a rather expensive EOC. :shufflin:

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

Pages from 5995362828 30" 40" ELECTRIC FREE STANDING AUG 2002 FOR SERIAL NUMBERS STARTING WITH NF

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

ah yes, the lovely friggy that has 2 f5 codes, one for the oven and another for the surface units
i have found many of these that gave the runaway temp error had the main harness plug on the EOC loose, i'd have a peek at that, unplug/plug the harness and retry

the sensor wires on the eoc are the 2 purple usually

disregard the UIB stuff, thats for the surface unit F5 error, when asking a frigidaire engineer what F5 means for the surface units you recieve the answer "something is defective" i really HATE that error code

how old is this range? that looks like a rather old model number
i cant find a listing anywhere for it, the older capacative touch friggys had a relay board, does this one?

Edited by BrntToast, 13 December 2010 - 10:58 AM.

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#7 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Burnt!

This stove is about 16 yrs old. It's in really good shape for the age though. Not sure about a relay board - will have to recheck. I forgot to grab a pic of the wiring diagram. I'm going back there today, so I'll check that out.

The cooktop portion of the stove is working well - the runaway temp is in the oven ... so this should be the oven F5 error.

I'll get back here in a couple of hours after I've had a 2nd look at it.

#8 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

take part #'s off the eoc and relay board, i have no parts listings for that model

you are more than likely gonna hear NLA for both the eoc and relay board on those 1st generation capacitive touch friggys
if i remember correctly there is one non-essential relay that can be harvested and moved if you have a stuck bake relay

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#9 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

OK - went back today. This one does have a separate relay board. I tried unplugging the EOC harness and replugging but that did not solve the problem.

None of the relays are fused - all measure open when checked without power.

Not quite sure how this unit works, but the relay board has both a Broil relay and an "Upper Assist" relay when goes to the broil element. What I found the first time I ran it was that the bake element would cycle off, but the broil stayed at 240v. I then cut the power and checked those two relays that goto the broil element - they were both good (open without power.)

I then powered the unit back up ... and now the bake element cycles normally, but I have no broil. Cannot get the broil to fire up, no way, no how.

So after putzing around for a while, I left it on bake ... the unit heated up - never cycled off till it locked the door and put up Err F5. PITA!!!!

So ... from what I can tell, it is the EOC. Told the customer that it is not worth repair and I'm done with it. Still not sure exactly where the problem is, but because there are problems with both broil (not working) and back (runaway temp), the one piece in common is the EOC.

So I'm done.

I have a photo of the wiring diagram if anybody wants it.

Cheers and thanks for the help everyone.

#10 TRIT0N

TRIT0N

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

these stoves were a nightmare from the get go, all the f-codes are unreliable, and they have lots of quirks, i would start with the ribbon cable on the touchpad but they are so brittle by this age it will break if you move it, best thing is to walk away as next to nothing is available on these anyhow (thank god)... i think i used up all the old parts about 6 years ago lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics