Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

blacter

Fisher Pykel DishDrawer Problem

12 posts in this topic

I've had the DishDrawer system for four years now and have had a recurring problem. After I use the bottom drawer, I sometimes find water in the top. Both drawers drain through a y-connection into the disposal. Both drain hoses are looped well above the disposal.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

OH YEAH, THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM. The thing is that F&P designed a little rubber flap valve at the outlet of the pumps. The valve is not spring loaded closed. All that shuts it is the pressure from the remaining water in the drain hose. It doesnt work very well as even the slightest particle of anything around that flapper will cause it to not seal. Nw flapper valves havent helped either.

What you want to do is reposition that Y type connector wher the 2 hoses join and then dump into the air gar or disposeall or whatever..... Arrange the Y shaped connector so that the dual ends are higher than the single end. so that water will not be able to backflow through the adjacent hose. FP says this shouldnt have to be done, but after having addressed this problem many times (even repeat calls to the same house) I went to this and the problem is solved.

Thanks, Bob. I'm going to make that change right now. I'll let you know how it works out.

...Barry

Reporting back after several weeks enjoying the fix you suggested. Works like a charm! Can't understand why FisherPaykel wouldn't add this tip to their installation instructions. I never would have bought another DishDrawer or recommended it to others. Now I'm lovin' it again.

I am also having the same problem.  Repositioning Y-type connector didn't help so I want to try replacing the valve flap - but how do I get to it?

Replacing the flap valve won't help, reposition the hoses so their apex is as close to the countertop's underside as possible. Does this discharge into an air gap? I believe there is a special dual air gap available.

The Y-connector is pretty much vertical with the dual end at the top.  I think replacing the flap should help - I had the same problem last year and the tech replaced the flap which seemed to fix it- only problem is that it cost ~$250.  I'm ready to throw the d/w out unless I can find an inexpensive fix.  I tried removing the drawer but just can't figure out how to access the hose that contains the valve flap?

Can you post a pic or even 3rd grade level drawing of how the hoses run? How high do the hoses get? For how long?

Unfortunately I don't have an easy means of getting a picture/photo into my computer and I'd really like to try the valve flap if I could just figure our how to get to it?

Super easy, pull out the drawer and undo all the clips which hold on the translucent plastic "thingy". Probably easier to just pop the drawer out by depressing the two tabs near the front and turn it on it's side. Be prepared for some water. The black drain hose will now be visible and you can just pull it off. I repeat, replacing the flap will not cure the problem. Proper hose layout and knowledge of how water flows and the action of gravity upon it will cure the issue. It is a zen thing. Think like the water, be the water. Only then can you defeat it.