Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher Pykel DishDrawer Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blacter

blacter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:54 AM

I've had the DishDrawer system for four years now and have had a recurring problem. After I use the bottom drawer, I sometimes find water in the top. Both drawers drain through a y-connection into the disposal. Both drain hoses are looped well above the disposal.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 asteysn2

asteysn2

Asteysn2

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Newcastle, Watneys, Stone's IPA

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:39 AM

OH YEAH, THIS IS A VERY COMMON PROBLEM. The thing is that F&P designed a little rubber flap valve at the outlet of the pumps. The valve is not spring loaded closed. All that shuts it is the pressure from the remaining water in the drain hose. It doesnt work very well as even the slightest particle of anything around that flapper will cause it to not seal. Nw flapper valves havent helped either.
What you want to do is reposition that Y type connector wher the 2 hoses join and then dump into the air gar or disposeall or whatever..... Arrange the Y shaped connector so that the dual ends are higher than the single end. so that water will not be able to backflow through the adjacent hose. FP says this shouldnt have to be done, but after having addressed this problem many times (even repeat calls to the same house) I went to this and the problem is solved.
Robert Sankey
Coastal Appliance, Heating & Air
email: coastalserve@gmail.com

#3 blacter

blacter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:24 AM

Thanks, Bob. I'm going to make that change right now. I'll let you know how it works out.

...Barry

#4 blacter

blacter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:54 AM

Reporting back after several weeks enjoying the fix you suggested. Works like a charm! Can't understand why FisherPaykel wouldn't add this tip to their installation instructions. I never would have bought another DishDrawer or recommended it to others. Now I'm lovin' it again.

#5 Mrs Fixit

Mrs Fixit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

I am also having the same problem.  Repositioning Y-type connector didn't help so I want to try replacing the valve flap - but how do I get to it?

#6 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:06 AM

Replacing the flap valve won't help, reposition the hoses so their apex is as close to the countertop's underside as possible. Does this discharge into an air gap? I believe there is a special dual air gap available.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#7 Mrs Fixit

Mrs Fixit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:26 AM

The Y-connector is pretty much vertical with the dual end at the top.  I think replacing the flap should help - I had the same problem last year and the tech replaced the flap which seemed to fix it- only problem is that it cost ~$250.  I'm ready to throw the d/w out unless I can find an inexpensive fix.  I tried removing the drawer but just can't figure out how to access the hose that contains the valve flap?

#8 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:09 AM

Can you post a pic or even 3rd grade level drawing of how the hoses run? How high do the hoses get? For how long?
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

#9 Mrs Fixit

Mrs Fixit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Unfortunately I don't have an easy means of getting a picture/photo into my computer and I'd really like to try the valve flap if I could just figure our how to get to it?

#10 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:27 PM

Model number please?

#11 Mrs Fixit

Mrs Fixit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

DD603

#12 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:06 PM

Super easy, pull out the drawer and undo all the clips which hold on the translucent plastic "thingy". Probably easier to just pop the drawer out by depressing the two tabs near the front and turn it on it's side. Be prepared for some water. The black drain hose will now be visible and you can just pull it off. I repeat, replacing the flap will not cure the problem. Proper hose layout and knowledge of how water flows and the action of gravity upon it will cure the issue. It is a zen thing. Think like the water, be the water. Only then can you defeat it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics